Rust removal

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

cobbdu1
Bongonaut

Rust removal

Post by cobbdu1 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:51 am

I’m getting rid of some rust from my wheel arch and haven’t done it before. Having asked a mate I’m planning to do the following:
1) apply “Kurust” to remove some of the rust chemically
2) sand the area to remove and remains, back to the metal
3) fill the area using this (https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2739083678)
4) apply primer
5) spray on final colour

Does this sound about right you you (I may have got points 1&2 the wrong way round)?

Can you suggest what primer paint I need please?

How do I find out the correct final colour? It’s silver, but that’s all I can tell you.

Thank you
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Rust removal

Post by g8dhe » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:00 am

Your paint codes should be on the passenger side "B" pillar at the bottom of the label.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:32 am

The rust will probably soon return to bubble and stain the new paint. I opted to make a feature of the critical strip by making it look like it was a sort of wheel arch trim. For that area i dab on smooth hammerite (i mixed green and black to get close to the original dark green). Its a lot quicker than spraying primer, topcoat and lacquer which means i'm not too depressed when it needs redoing every 6-12 months. I wrote it all up on here at the time. I'll try and dig out the link.

Edit: here's the link viewtopic.php?f=44&t=69859
cobbdu1
Bongonaut

Post by cobbdu1 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:39 am

mikeonb4c wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:32 am The rust will probably soon return to bubble and stain the new paint. I opted to make a feature of the critical strip by making it look like it was a sort of wheel arch trim. For that area i dab on smooth hammerite (i mixed green and black to get close to the original dark green). Its a lot quicker than spraying primer, topcoat and lacquer which means i'm not too depressed when it needs redoing every 6-12 months. I wrote it all up on here at the time. I'll try and dig out the link.

Edit: here's the link viewtopic.php?f=44&t=69859
Yes please. Thank you.

Return to “Techie Stuff”