Front anti roll bar

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sloppy7
Bongonaut

Front anti roll bar

Post by sloppy7 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:46 pm

Well, it's been a while since I've posted on here! But I have been lurking and using the valuable back catalogue of posts to service and maintain my Bongo since then. Den at New Dawn also converted my van and hi-topped it so t the back end of 2018 so it's not been a quiet time!

Unfortunately my van failed its MOT at the end of January (welding, binding brake and steering gaiter) and there were some other advisories (drop links, front pads and a couple of others) so I decided I'd sort as much as I can myself and take it off to the welder.

That's led to two refurbed calipers, new discs pads and hoses at the front so far together with many battles over seized bolts and nuts which have now been dealt with! I also decided if I was doing the drop links (had to cut the bolts off!!) I'd do the brackets and bushes too and paint the ARB - I mean if I can't go out in the Bongo I may as well show it some love!

Well done if you got this far - now my actual question! On the ARB to the inner of where the bushes and brackets are situated are two further rubber "bushes?" held in place with ruuber boot style clamps. Firstly the only purpose I can see that these serve is to stop lateral movement, is that correct? Secondly can they be replaced?

Thanks

Leigh
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Front anti roll bar

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:25 am

Yes they are available as they are a service part. They anchor the anti rollbar to the body, but must be flexible whilst anchoring to allow for the twist in the anti rollbar,
Careful when undoing the bolts as they can sheer off, slow even pressure usually gets em but please be warned as they are into nuts that are welded inside the body on the front end, the rears can be bad too as 2 of the bolts can give grief.
Good luck.
sloppy7
Bongonaut

Re: Front anti roll bar

Post by sloppy7 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:26 am

It's not the actual brackets and bushes - the ARB is now off the van. I took the advice previously posted on here and plusgassed everything over a week and then worked slowly. All off without shearing. I learned my lesson going too fast when I sheared two water pump bolts three years ago!!

Anyway...Still attached to the bar, now it's off the vehicle and free from the old clamps and bushes, are two small bands of rubber held in place by o clamps - you can see them on the lushprojects diagram as "bumps" in the ARB but they are not identified as separate parts. I'm struggling to see what purpose they serve and debating cutting the o clamps, cleaning and reapainting the ARB then reclamping them before attaching back to the van with new bushes, clamps and bolts (which I already have).

Return to “Techie Stuff”