Leisure Battery replacement

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Whatwouldgordondo
Junior Bongonaut

Leisure Battery replacement

Post by Whatwouldgordondo » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:10 pm

When we bought Gordon the bongo it was fully converted with leisure battery and electrics etc but recently we had to take the leisure battery out to do the washer pump and noticed its a standard lead acid 70Ah which I now want to replace.

It is a standard 120A slit charge relay setup but would a 110Ah AGM marine battery be a good replacement and does anyone have any recommendations???

Thanks in advance Mr B
Mr & Mrs B in a bongo called Gordon constantly asking "what would Gordon do?"
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Leisure Battery replacement

Post by g8dhe » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:42 pm

Be a bit wary of the modern battery types the AGM and GEL types whilst they look good at the headline level with much better discharge capability etc. they also require modern charging techniques that the alternator and EHU units DON'T support! Most solar controllers now do but this is often only used in conjunction / parallel with the other two methods and hence achieves nothing! Do a careful pricing bearing in mind that unless charged correctly the life of the more expensive batteries will be no better and sometimes worse than the cheaper flooded leisure batteries. I'm a heavy battery user with laptops and amateur radio gear drawing significant battery power, my choice is still a cheaper flooded lead acid battery which normally lasts me two years and occasionally 3 years.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Whatwouldgordondo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Whatwouldgordondo » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:14 am

Oooo never thought about that, good point will look at normal lead acid replacement instead

Thanks

Mr B
Whatwouldgordondo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Whatwouldgordondo » Sun May 10, 2020 3:19 pm

g8dhe wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:42 pm Be a bit wary of the modern battery types the AGM and GEL types whilst they look good at the headline level with much better discharge capability etc. they also require modern charging techniques that the alternator and EHU units DON'T support! Most solar controllers now do but this is often only used in conjunction / parallel with the other two methods and hence achieves nothing! Do a careful pricing bearing in mind that unless charged correctly the life of the more expensive batteries will be no better and sometimes worse than the cheaper flooded leisure batteries. I'm a heavy battery user with laptops and amateur radio gear drawing significant battery power, my choice is still a cheaper flooded lead acid battery which normally lasts me two years and occasionally 3 years.
been looking around, would this one be ok?
https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteri ... ne/exv110/
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun May 10, 2020 3:28 pm

Well if it fits the tray and the right height then it should be fine.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Whatwouldgordondo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Whatwouldgordondo » Sun May 10, 2020 3:46 pm

AWESOME thanks 👍

Return to “Techie Stuff”