Tiny water leaks! Engine and footwell

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

SteveG
Junior Bongonaut

Tiny water leaks! Engine and footwell

Post by SteveG » Fri May 01, 2020 8:55 am

Leak 1. I have a very irritating water leak (complaints about the staining on our gravel drive!!). I have removed the engine covers, wiped everything clean, warmed up the engine and left it running up to temperature. (Diesel) I have traced back as far as a small drip on the underside of the fuel pump, down to the rear engine mount and onto the tubular cross member. I cannot see anything leaking onto the fuel pump! The engine does not appear to leak when cold and off.

Leak 2. I have damp carpet in the drivers footwell close to the plastic step trim at the rear of the footwell. Door rubbers appear to be in good condition.

Spent a lot of time tracing the engine leak during lockdown in deepest marshland Essex!

Thanks in advance!!
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: Tiny water leaks! Engine and footwell

Post by Ian » Fri May 01, 2020 9:49 am

Leak 1 sounds like an O ring has perished on the fuel pump.
Leak 2 is probably the rear heater matrix, possibly the join with the pipe or hose on the offside.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
SteveG
Junior Bongonaut

Post by SteveG » Fri May 01, 2020 11:11 am

Ian. Thanks for your prompt reply. I will investigate and let you know. I hadn't realised that the fuel pump would leak water. The fluid leak appears to be water with antifreeze rather than foul smelling diesel! Will carry out another taste test.....could be wrong.
Steve
SteveG
Junior Bongonaut

Post by SteveG » Fri May 01, 2020 11:50 am

Must get my taste buds seen too.....diesel tastes so good. Great call on the fuel pump Ian. Thanks again.
Engine running for an hour with the heater on....no leak there...……?
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Fri May 01, 2020 9:38 pm

Automatic transmission pipes? They run under the driver seat by the side of the coolant pipe.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Sun May 03, 2020 11:20 am

Have you needed to top up the coolant level? Its one way of helping to work out if the damp carpet relates to a coolant leak or not.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
SteveG
Junior Bongonaut

Post by SteveG » Mon May 04, 2020 5:36 pm

Re water leak in the drivers footwell. I have failed to post a picture of the leak so I will try to describe it's location.
The carpet is damp only adjacent to the plastic step trim as it folds over the carpet. It starts at the rear of the footwell where the plastic trim touches the seat base and extends to the end of the trim (before it rises up the door pillar).
The Bongo is not losing any water.
SteveG
Junior Bongonaut

Post by SteveG » Mon May 04, 2020 8:13 pm

Have traced the injector pump leak to the small dome housing low down an the outside....same as the 2007 dandywarhole article "Replacing fuel pump seals". Can anybody tell me where I can purchase just the 2 advance piston housing seals.
barney_the_bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by barney_the_bongo » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:58 pm

Hi. I've had the same problem with water in the driver's side footwell. I think I've traced it to rainwater dripping from the windscreen channel and getting onto the bulkhead above the driver's footwell. I put a small amount of water with fluorescein tracer on the bulkhead and (somehow) it made its way to the plastic trim at the edge of the footwell carpet.
I hope that someone has found a way to solve it.
Best regards :)
SteveG
Junior Bongonaut

Post by SteveG » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:00 pm

Thanks. I have had no repeat of the leak(?) since the post.....just wondering if something was spilt!!!!!

Return to “Techie Stuff”