Help! Throttle jammed (2.0 petrol)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Kaysee_sw
Apprentice Bongonaut

Help! Throttle jammed (2.0 petrol)

Post by Kaysee_sw » Fri May 08, 2020 2:28 pm

Hi All,
Just fired up the Bongo to drive around the block and check it over during lockdown, but it didn't go well! Started fine, pulled forward off the drive, but when I depressed the throttle pedal, it wouldn't budge! Had to creep along the road until I could turn around and creep home again. I didn't dare press too hard in case I then got stuck in 'fast' rather than 'slow', but once back I tried pretty hard to press the pedal, but it won't budge. Van was last driven about 4 weeks ago, and it did have a slight resistance to the pedal on first push of the day for a couple of weeks.

It feels very much like the throttle cable has jammed, has anyone any advice on where and how to check? Which side of the engine should I be looking at (tipping seats is tricky with the conversion in place, if I know where to look it's much easier)? Is replacement easy? The pedal linkage itself seems smooth and free.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Help! Throttle jammed (2.0 petrol)

Post by g8dhe » Fri May 08, 2020 4:42 pm

It may depend on year look at the mechanical diagrams for a guide http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Kaysee_sw
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Kaysee_sw » Fri May 08, 2020 5:23 pm

I've had a look around there but got lost down the rabbit hole - it's a 1998, but I couldn't find any sign of the throttle cable on the drawings.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri May 08, 2020 6:49 pm

Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Kaysee_sw
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Kaysee_sw » Sat May 09, 2020 1:22 pm

Panic over! Thanks for the diagrams, looked like I wanted passenger side so I unloaded everything and tipped the seat.

Turns out it's not the throttle cable, that's running free - the throttle arm itself was locked solid. A gentle encouragement to move with a socket on the bolt head, and now everything is running fine again. I might need to adjust the cable slightly now I've had a fiddle. If it happens again I'll strip it down, clean and lubricate everything.

Thanks for the help!

Return to “Techie Stuff”