Changing odometer reading

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bongold
Bongonaut

Changing odometer reading

Post by Bongold » Fri May 15, 2020 4:21 pm

Hi all, I have searched the forum and there was no definitive answer for this. Forgive me if I couldn't find it!

I need to alter the reading on my odometer after removing a speed chip. As it's now registering kms, I would like to increase the reading accordingly. I have the unit out and see there is a cog at the end of the line of numbers which I can painstakingly move to change the reading. I am thinking of making up some sort of jig to rotate another drive cog against it so I can leave it running as it will take some time.

The question is; is this the only way of adjusting the numbers without damage?

thanks!
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Changing odometer reading

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri May 15, 2020 10:12 pm

I just swapped the head with one I found that was very near, others have stated ( years ago) that remove the entire gauge cluster, remove the Speedo via the mounting screws, get a thin narrow blade/screwdriver and create a gap between the rotating discs to space the peg from the next disc/gear, continue continue until you get near where you want it.
This is done at your risk, and Mr plod may want to have a word etc, some I remember broke the Speedo trying this so be careful.
At your own blah blah.🤞
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Changing odometer reading

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat May 16, 2020 8:24 pm

But you can still have a twiddle, well, on the 95 plate one that I had you could, didn't say it was cable driven, it's a case of opening the gears apart and rotating to where you want but it's not easy.

Return to “Techie Stuff”