electrical issues

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

papillon555
Junior Bongonaut

electrical issues

Post by papillon555 » Sat May 16, 2020 11:58 am

Hi,
I hope someone could give some help/ advice regarding the issues I am having with my Bongo.

Bongo 2.5 diesel 1996 SGL3

There are several problems that I believe maybe connected;

The front fan has recently stopped working ( when I remove the cover, I can spin it, sometimes it carries on but very weak and eventually stops)
The roller blinds have stopped working.
The roof light( closed) goes out initially for a few seconds but starts flashing soon after.
The central locking works intermittently (I think that is possibly a loose connection between drivers door and body).

I have had the bongo for 10 years and never really had these problems before.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: electrical issues

Post by g8dhe » Sat May 16, 2020 1:13 pm

The faults you describe aren't normally associated with a single problem unless you have poor battery connections ? Might be worth while checking that first, open the bonnet and remove and clean each terminal, start with the -ve terminal first, then whilst it is disconnected do the +ve terminal, then replace the +ve terminal and finally replace the -ve terminal.

If that doesn't solve any problems then its likely to be individual faults, do you have a leisure battery at all ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
papillon555
Junior Bongonaut

Post by papillon555 » Mon May 18, 2020 12:12 pm

HI,

Thanks for your reply,

I have disconnected battery and cleaned up connections but it hasn't resolved the problems.
I don't have a leisure battery.

Perhaps you can tell me if any of these electrical wiring's run through from drivers door to main body? I believe the intermittent central locking is possibly a loose/ broken connection between there.

Thanks for your help
Kevin
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon May 18, 2020 12:52 pm

Yes, you can see the loom where it runs from the A pillar into the door.

It's quite a common fault and can easily be fixed by stripping back the insulation and soldering in a piece of wire. Often the break can be seen, if not jiggling the wire can reveal the break.

Alternatively looms can be bought, but not cheap.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon May 18, 2020 1:23 pm

Only for the central locking however.
The Fans, blinds and AFT roof raised light are all independent circuits with very little in common.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
papillon555
Junior Bongonaut

Post by papillon555 » Mon May 18, 2020 4:25 pm

Hi,
I will check for a break in the wiring for the central locking.

Which problem do you suggest I start with ? Perhaps the simplest one ( if there is one) as I'm not very confident about the electrics.

Thanks
Kevin
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon May 18, 2020 6:03 pm

Its very odd for all these to suddenly appear at once, what is the history of the vehicle ? It might suggest areas to look at if we new what might have been done to it in the past ?

You say the fan moves when you remove the covers, which fan are you referring too ?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
papillon
Bongonaut

Post by papillon » Tue May 19, 2020 3:54 pm

Hi,

There has been little to no electrical work done on the bongo apart from rear wiper which was a broken wire. I've had the bongo for 10 years.

The roof light issue has been there for some time but the front fan and the blinds are a recent problem.
I inspected the wiring between drivers door and post and found a couple of broken cables which I have temporarily fixed but has had no effect on the fan and blind issue but has cured the central locking.
Under the bonnet there is a black plastic 'cowling / cover?' when its removed (slid off) a fan is visible through the square opening. This is the fan I was referring to. When I reach in and turn it, it carries on weakly under its own power but stops shortly after.
BTW, the front heater is still working and the rear fan is ok.

I hope the descriptions / information helps

Thanks
Kevin
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue May 19, 2020 5:23 pm

Right OK, wasn't sure if you were thinking all the electrical faults were related, as they really don't have much in common!

OK you found the normal drivers door loom problem, be aware that once one or two have snapped then the others are on there way which includes having the window fail in the rain when down of course ;-) Repair kit available here https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/bespokeautoe ... _uk/m.html

The main radiator fans will only come on when demanded by the ECU, so unless your having overheating problems they are probably working OK when needed.

The Fan inside the covers is for the front air con, that should be controlled by the Air Con controls, however they do have a habit of overloading due to corrosion of that fans bearings in which case they either blow the control transistor with the electronic Climate Control version (check by setting it on max speed if it works then, then the transistor is blown and can be replaced), or if the older slider style controls then the thermal fuses pop on the speed control resistors and they need soldering back down.

The AFT raised warning light will almost certainly be down to mis-adjustment of the limit switches that stop the FAT when its down see these images and how to tweak the switches (older versions have a different type of switch) http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/aft/index.php?ind=0
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
papillon
Bongonaut

Post by papillon » Wed May 20, 2020 7:10 pm

Hi,

thank you for your reply and link to drivers door wiring loom.

I have the older slider style controls. Are the thermal fuses easily accessible and repairable by a novice ? :-)

I will check the limit switches on the AFT. Thank you for the very helpful pics.

A couple of months ago I noticed that the blinds worked if the switch was held down for some time but now nothing.
I don't know if that info helps.

Thank you so much for your help
Kevin
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed May 20, 2020 8:28 pm

It could be that the switches for the blinds have dirty contacts.

Geoff has done a great video on cleaning them up. It's actually for the roof switch, but they're identical. :wink:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed May 20, 2020 10:25 pm

Lets see Youtube for switch cleaning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX1SB0xoJOU

The thermal fuses are quite do able they sit here where the probes are;

The resistors when repaired will look like this;
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
papillon
Bongonaut

Post by papillon » Thu May 21, 2020 4:19 pm

Hi,
thank you for pics and clip.

I have checked the AFT front switches and the beeping stops when depressing the one above the drivers door but the Dashboard light still comes on after a couple of seconds ( when the roof is fully closed). I remember that whilst closing the roof, the beeping would automatically stop when the roof closed completely even if the close button was being depressed. Now it carries on beeping whilst the roof button is pressed and the roof light comes on? Not sure if that info helps.

After checking the blinds I noticed that if the switch is held down for a couple of seconds,they do work. If I need to check the switches contact, could you tell me how are the switches removed from the console please?

I haven't had chance to remove the thermal switch yet but would you advise that should I invest in a soldering iron at this stage :D or wait til it has been removed and checked?

many many thanks
Kevin
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu May 21, 2020 6:04 pm

The beeping will only stop, coming down, when BOTH switches have operated at the front. It almost sounds as if one or both are opening up after initially closing, check that there isn't too much inside the AFT and that the sliders on each side aren't being jammed by anything in the guide tracks.

Cleaning and extracting the switches is explained in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX1SB0xoJOU

Yes wait until you have investigated also ask around locally as soldering irons are a quite common tool, but it helps if you have had experience using one, in this case try to use the existing solder rather than introducing new solder as different ratios of the Lead/Tin in the solder control the melting point.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
papillon
Bongonaut

Post by papillon » Thu May 28, 2020 2:18 pm

Return to “Techie Stuff”