Passenger door central locking

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Allenbongo
Junior Bongonaut

Passenger door central locking

Post by Allenbongo » Sat May 30, 2020 3:59 pm

We have a 96 Bongo with central locking but the passenger door has stopped working.

It still locks fine from key or inside of that door but won’t from using the drivers lock. The rear sliding door still works which suggests I think that it’s not the relay.

I’ve checked the wiring in the loom on the door open and all the wires look pristine so reckon they’ve been replaced before (we only bought her last summer).

Any other suggestions please?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Passenger door central locking

Post by g8dhe » Sat May 30, 2020 4:15 pm

Probably worth opening the door up by removing the card and checking if the power is reaching the solenoid/motor with a meter or test lamp and then taking it from there.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Allenbongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Allenbongo » Sat May 30, 2020 11:47 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Geoff

I figured I’d need to test where the link is broken but I’m going to show my lack of knowledge and ask how I do that. I have a multimeter and removed the door card. Most connections look ok but can’t see where to test the voltage and don’t know if I should only get a reading when I try to lock/unlock?

The window and electric mirror still work so seems like it must just be the central lock wire or the last section....

Thanks

Keith
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun May 31, 2020 9:22 am

There should be two wires going to the door solenoid/motor

Its the Red and the Red/Green you need to measure the voltage on, when operating there will be 12 volts across them.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Allenbongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Allenbongo » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:30 pm

Hi again,

Not managed to test the solenoid yet as discovered some interesting wiring adjustments by a previous owner....seemingly however the central locking Is working again but think I have a loose connection track down later!

For now though I need some help figuring out what the wires should look like just inside the panel by the drivers door. The picture below if the link works is additions a previous owner appears to have made to add a LB, which they have then spliced to radio, 12v cigarette lighter adapter and interior lights. There’s also a positive cable from the unnamed relay going to behind the speedo etc and negative going to electric door mirrors and no obvious link to the SB which seems standard on every guide for fitting an LB that I’ve read.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/H ... mL6Px096cJ

My first thoughts are to remove it all, putting the wiring back as it should be then wire in a new LB properly with a VSR. But I’m not sure we’re the internal lights wire should be reconnected, the radio and 12v seem to be additional wiring so happy to just remove but not the internal lights....help please!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:06 am

My instincts say to start by stripping out the add-ons and then reconsider how to re-wire it in a more "normal" fashion.

The most frequent method to re-wiring these days is simply to remove the 4 fuses from the internal fuse box by the drivers knee and replace the fuses with a "Swap Loom" this plugs into the lower connection of the 4 fuses replaced Ancillaries 15 Amp Top Right, the 2 15 Amp Blind circuits top row right and the unswitched power 10 Amp Top row Left. These are the only circuits that need to be switched over as they need to be used when static. The swap loom terminates on a new fuse box close to the leisure battery and the 4 fuses are moved to this new box, the common on the new fuse box then connects to the LB +ve. This way no existing wiring has to be touched in anyway! Its also very simple to return to standard configuration.

Another way (which I used) is to attack the existing fuse box from the rear and isolate the same 4 circuits from there common feeds and reconnect this feed to the leisure battery via a new fuse located close to the LB. However this is not the way I would do it now the above swap loom is by far a better method.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Allenbongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Allenbongo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:23 pm

Thanks again Geoff, will get on with resetting the wiring at weekend and look for parts to wire in proper LB with VSR and swap loom.

Do you know where the wire for the internal lights that goes up the drivers door frame should originally be wired in to, I can spot where that was cut out from. The rest seems fairly straight forward to remove, except the stereo but will get to that later when I’ve located keys to remove that, one step at a time!

Thanks

Keith
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:38 pm

Two bits of coat hanger wire can often help removing a stereo. :wink:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:58 am

All the internal lights are from the unswitched feed 10 Amp Top Left fuse.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Allenbongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Allenbongo » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:53 pm

Thanks Bob and Geoff, lots more fun planned for the weekend then!
Allenbongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Allenbongo » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:30 pm

Hi All,

So been researching, and reading previous posts, perhaps too much and now overthinking it all.

Once I've restored the original connections I need to fit a VSR split charge circuit and swap loom circuit so that having the leisure battery is actually useful too. I think I'm correct that the two items below will provide everything I need (not counting the leisure battery obviously and I have proper battery clamps already for it).

VSR kit
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202499939887
Swap loom
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114160298011

I'd also like to future proof what I add now for plans on the next addition, solar panel and charger, I don't think that has any impact on this plan but grateful of confirmation or indeed correction that I'm on the right track.

Thanks again everyone

Keith
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:49 pm

No Solar won't affect the VSR and swap loom but read here for what to be aware of viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72346
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Allenbongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Allenbongo » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:52 am

Thanks again Geoff, found that one yesterday and was planning on ordering from solar camper solutions too, but that will have to wait till I can afford to get a good quality kit hence planning ahead
Allenbongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Allenbongo » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:01 pm

Going to show my lack of electrical knowledge again.

I can connect the red wire from interior lights to top left 10a fuse and happily they work. Not sure how originally connected though as there is already a blue wire with red stripe in that slot. Is it ok just fix in with that?

And then what do I do with the black wire, presumably meant to complete the circuit somewhere?

Keith
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:26 pm

Black is normally earth, but Geoff will know. :wink:

Return to “Techie Stuff”