Bongo blind pattern template

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Ollymuk
Bongonaut

Bongo blind pattern template

Post by Ollymuk » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:11 pm

Hi all

Our blinds on our "new" bongo are filthy and we want to make some new ones.

I don't suppose anyone has a pattern for creating some new blinds from black out material we already have?

Ideally I'm looking to save as much money as I can because *someone* spent it all on a Bongo!

Olly
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo blind pattern template

Post by Bob » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:03 pm

Hi Olly

If you're removing the blinds to replace the cloth you could use what you remove as a pattern.

However - the blind cloth is very thin, unless you can match this the new cloth won't wind on to the roller. :wink:
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:45 pm

Ollymuk wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:11 pm Hi all

Our blinds on our "new" bongo are filthy and we want to make some new ones.

I don't suppose anyone has a pattern for creating some new blinds from black out material we already have?

Ideally I'm looking to save as much money as I can because *someone* spent it all on a Bongo!

Olly
Dye them with carpet dye, easy AND cheap. Can also leave the blinds in situ to do it. If you have Instagram we have some photos on the Bongo Fury page @bongo_fury_official showing how it’s done, plus before and after pics! :D
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:08 pm

This is from the fact sheet in the members area.

First of all take off the grey plastic handles on the top of the windows. Then take off the seat belt holders (the top ones only). You can now take off the grey plastic covers and undo the bolts that hold the runners for the blinds. (This will help later on). Taking off the blinds is now easy: they are only attached with double-sided tape at the top, so you can just pull them off at the top. There’s a tiny nut and bolt at the bottom corner: unscrew that and you will be able to swing the bottom bar out. At the back of the screen at the bottom are two plastic clasps. These are held on by two screws: unscrew these and the blind will just slide off.

Once you have taken off all the blinds stick them in the washing machine (use a cool wash or nylon setting). While your washer is on the go, go back to the runners that the blinds were connected to and undo the screws at any of the two top roller corners where the blinds were glued to: you want the end where the bar is spring loaded. This will let the roller bar slide out so it will be easier to stick the blinds back on to the roller. Make sure you leave the top bar next to the window it came off as they are different sizes.

Once your blinds are washed and dried, stick them back on. If it’s still sticky enough, use the double-sided tape already in place or buy some more
double-sided tape from your local hardware store (mine just stuck straight back on).

Slide the blind onto the bottom bar. Screw the little grey plastic clasps back on the bottom. Line up the holes at the bottom of each curtain to make sure you have the right one. Swing it back into place put the top bar back in, screw the nut and bolt in the bottom corner back, then twist the spring-loaded bar at the top around a few times (this will spring the curtain around when it goes up!). Put the screws back together on the top bar and bolt the runners back on to the van. Then put all the plastic covers back on, then bolt the seat belts back on, then screw the handles back on and then it’s done!
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Bonniebongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bonniebongo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:06 pm

@ollymuk did you make new blinds in the end? Any pics? Really want to do this myself! Thanks
Ollymuk
Bongonaut

Post by Ollymuk » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:19 pm

Not yet, no. We're in the process of looking for blinds to butcher. Dunelm do have some black out blinds that are large enough to make two bongo blinds (from my rough approximation) so we're hoping to try it later in the summer.

The list of jobs on the van has been so long that we haven't been able to get out yet.
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:51 pm

I used the old ones for templates and a couple of dunelm blackouts to do this. Cutting the edges and avoiding any fraying was probably the hardest bit. Way better than the originals though (although I have to admit their sewing is marginally better :D ) and have followed me to my 2nd bongo too
2DA299C0-A48E-4C33-8E48-B47166B81226.jpeg

Return to “Techie Stuff”