Swivel seat plans

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Roy748
Bongolier

Swivel seat plans

Post by Roy748 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:29 pm

Hello all
I am interested in making a swivel plate for the passenger side seat of my bongo. I have searched the forum for any links to some plans but cannot find any. Does anyone have a set of plans that they can email me. I have a welder and assortment of tools so feel if i had some plans i could make it.
Thanks in advance.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Swivel seat plans

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:38 pm

You realise its more than just a swivel required, it has to be hinged to allow space to get away from the centre console to turn ?
There are some ideas here, but not complete as you need to be able to lock the seat in position as well http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/swivel/
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:43 pm

Hello g8dhe
Thanks for these, I need to get my head around them, if someome has some photos of the actual piece in place would be good to help orientate. I appreciate it's not going to be easy but I am keen to give it a try. If anyone has simpler plans available that would be great too.
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:47 pm

I believe from previous post a chap known as Dave A... had some plans, but he has not been posting since 2017.
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:17 pm

Having looked on line there are a number of universal swivel seat mounts, I wonder if anyone has used this as a base and added/modified it to work on a bongo.
I see they are available to buy for the bongo at £270 plus, but feel like most campervan items they are grossly over priced. Making must be an option
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:20 am

Havnt bothered with a swivel I have bolted the passenger seat in reversed and the wife sits in the seat behind. I have tried to find the plans for Dave A's conversion and sent a PM but without any reply. They are supposed to be on Facebook somewhere but havnt found them there either and to reinvent it is to much of a faff.
You would need to raise the seat before you could rotate it. So a form of folding legs would be needed these attached to a rotating plate and then locked down when in the forward position by the inserting of a couple of rods through the legs and into the base frame. After all that it would be easier to buy a base from New Dawn. Send off your old base a get it returned sorted and they seem to have good reviews.

Personally I dont trust aftermarket swivel seat bases having had one fail in the past so unless they have proper type approval I will stay with the bolt down. In the end they are only as strong in an accident situation as the weakest link and on some swivel bases that is a single and often undersized bolt. Take a look at the Jap manufacturers swivels they are multi point fixed with positive locking around the rotating plate and rock solid.
You may want to look at doing away with the rotating part altogether, as that is possibly the weak link, and just have the seat lift out and turn it locking it in either position with pins through a sub frame. The seat is not heavy and you would still maintain a four bolt fixing.
P.S. If you do decide to mod the seat yourself be aware the seat frame to seat base bolt holes are blinded by the base so choose your bolt lengths carefully as the captive nuts strip easily.

Return to “Techie Stuff”