Voltage drop/charging issues

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

DanBongo
Junior Bongonaut

Voltage drop/charging issues

Post by DanBongo » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:26 am

Hi All,

I have tried to find answers in the excellent advice found on these forums but unfortunately nothing quite matches my issues:

- I have a 90ah leisure battery connected via split charger to main battery and alternator, The leisure battery is also charged by the EHU.
- The leisure battery shows 12.6 when sitting idle and nothing turned on, this goes up to 14.4 when charging from the vans alternator. When connected to EHU it is supposed to be charged also but this is where the issues start, it does not? The Ehu supply passes through a piece of equipment(not sure of its name) that downgrades the voltage to 12 volts which is working and tested with a multimeter, this should then be travelling back to the batteries to keep them charged but no readings at the batteries?
- I have the leisure battery connected to a fuse box in the van which then send wires around the van to various socket/usb connector for a fridge/tv/chargers.
- At the sockets the voltage is reading 10.06, when I plug in my tv/fridge they both turn off after 15/20 minutes, I check the leisure battery and this is still showing 12 volts and my in van readout is showing green for full on the leisure battery.
- The incoming supply from the leisure batter to the fuse box is show 12.3 volts.
- I will note that I have connected the leisure battery to control the blinds/windows etc via the vans fuse box also.

I thought it's the battery going/gone and cannot supply the same voltage continuously when used.

I have just read about big fuses/lots of fuses to check which i haven't checked as yet, will do this afternoon. I have checked all the fuses in the van and all are ok.

Any help gratefully received.

Dan
Dan,
99 V6!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Voltage drop/charging issues

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:44 am

The power supply on the EHU will normally put out a voltage around 13.6 to 14 volts, it servers two purposes supplies the "12v" when static and maintains the charge in the battery, it would not be normal to regulate the supply to the battery any further, it might be switched via a control panel between the two batteries and also other feeds around the van.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
DanBongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by DanBongo » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:12 pm

Is the EHU not supposed to charge the batteries at all then just maintain the current charge??

What do you think is the cause of the voltage drop from battery to sockets??

Dan
Dan,
99 V6!
DanBongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by DanBongo » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:36 pm

Adding to my previous post,

No fuses have blown

On ehu the voltage reads 12.6 at all sockets throughout the van

When not on ehu the voltage drops to 10.06 at the same sockets, would this be a bad battery ??

Have check all connections within fuse panel and fuse box from leisure battery and all check out.
Dan,
99 V6!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:05 pm

Yes that's a flat or dead battery. A fully charged battery at rest will read 12.6 to 12.8 volts.
To charge a battery rapidly then you do so at around 14.4 volts(Max!) ideally it should reduce to 13.6 volts when the battery is fully charged.
A float charge is where the battery is charged at 13.6 volts this is sufficient to maintain its charge, or if power is used from the battery, the charger will bring it back up slowly, but without causing either significant heating or gassing from the battery itself - its the normal way once a battery is charged.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
DanBongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by DanBongo » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:53 pm

Thanks Again,

New Battery on order.

Dan
Dan,
99 V6!

Return to “Techie Stuff”