Testing the fuel gauge

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Ollymuk
Bongonaut

Testing the fuel gauge

Post by Ollymuk » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:00 pm

Hi all

I think that my fuel gauge is dodgy. It seems to go up as I put diesel in but doesn't ever seem to show the diesel going down as I drive. In two weeks I've put £30 of diesel in and driven about 60 miles, but without the gauge going down even the smallest bit that I can see.

Is there a way I can test the gauge to show that it does actually go down as well as up? It may just be that I'm too used to electronic dashboards now.

Olly
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Testing the fuel gauge

Post by Bob » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:17 pm

If you fill brim full it's quite normal to cover some distance before the gauge starts to drop.

Doubtless you could try removing the wire from the sender then earth it, but personaly I'd fill up, note mileage, and keep an eye on it. If it hasn't moved after about 100 miles I'd investigate further as you don't want to run out.

Remember a lot of Bongos record distance covered in kilograms ( metric Devil units) and most of us have done greatly reduced mileages lately. :wink:
Ollymuk
Bongonaut

Post by Ollymuk » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:21 pm

Thanks. This is filling it to about one third of a tank, so it's far from full.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the info.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:31 pm

The common problem with fuel gauges is poor earth from the tank to the chassis.

Normal fix is a new wire from an existing hole in the rim of the tank to a good earth point. Quick and free. :wink: p

Return to “Techie Stuff”