Fridge fitting question

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Ollymuk
Bongonaut

Fridge fitting question

Post by Ollymuk » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:37 pm

Hi all

I'm *wanting* to fit a fridge where the left hand cupboard is in the kitchen of my bongo. It'll go under the sink, and it just fits height wise.

However the depth of the fridge means that it hits a piece of machinery that's behind the plastic panel on the floor level. Not sure what that piece of machinery actually does, but I can't move it, so I suppose I've hit the immovable object.
20200718_133354.jpg
20200718_133409.jpg
20200718_133322.jpg

I've had to cut the floor out to get the fridge in, and if there was there then it would t hit the machinery, but would hit the bottom of the sink.

I suppose I'm looking for advice on how, and where, to install a fridge. It's a domestic CRE50. The same as the CRX50 I'm told, just the reseller version rather than the retail version. Depth wise it appears that all the fridges are pretty similar. Certainly sending it back doesn't appear to help in this instance.

Can any one give me any of their experience of fitting fridges or perhaps do you know of a fridge built for the bongo? I doubt I can send it back now but I could try in a push.

Olly
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Fridge fitting question

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:07 pm

That's possibly the control stuff for the rear heater.

If that's been removed then I guess you could remove it's associated gubbins.

There won't be a Bongo specific fridge, it would never be worth tooling up for such small numbers, but plenty have been fitted so someone may have experience of it. :)
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:45 pm

I have a waeco crx50 but my kitchen is self built with cutlery draw above so no height restriction. In previous bongo the rear heater was still in place but disconnected (the machinery you mention) and in the new one I’ve removed it completely and put the fridge compressor down in its place as it’s remote on 2018 model. However what I can’t really offer you is a solution other than remove the heater matrix because your only alternatives I see - increase height or move everything forward slightly - probably aren’t an option. My fridge must also sit slightly forward of yours, as although it was tight fit it fitted fine in old bongo.

Removing it is reasonably straight forward if your aircon is already broke but if it’s working you’ll need to get someone who can weld aluminium to cap the pipes and you’ll need to bleed coolant after too
9BD098DE-6810-4934-B667-C9EF8DC9D034.jpeg
2AD9861E-7C31-4804-AAE8-C871DAAB27D7.jpeg
FBE12AB1-8FC7-436E-B878-43EA6B27F693.jpeg
Last edited by cwilliams255 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:47 pm

On mine the compressor is fitted above the rear air con unit, and the fridge cabinet sits in front. The air con controls are brought out into the cupboards for access.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Ollymuk
Bongonaut

Post by Ollymuk » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:58 pm

Thanks all

The rear Aircon doesn't actually work right now, however I do plan to get it working as the rear gets quite toasty in the summer on long drives with the kids, and there's only so long I want to drive with the front windows down 😀

I've decided to send the fridge back, if they'll take it, and order the Waeco CoolMatic CRP 40 with removable compressor, and put the compressor in the cupboard nextdoor.

Olly
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:33 pm

There is a significant wasted space above the air con unit, which the fridge body can't occupy so it makes a lot of sense to use the space for the compressor as otherwise its totally wasted, whilst if you put the compressor bits in the cupboard itself you will be using up storage space!
On mine the platform that holds the compressor is just a shelf of wood as I recall with a couple of supports resting on the top of the air con. I don't recall seeing exactly how it was fixed in position but I'm sure nothing to elaborate was used ;-)
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Ollymuk
Bongonaut

Post by Ollymuk » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:09 pm

Thanks Geoff

From my measurements, the fridge will stick out further than the wood underneath our bed will allow for; the board under the bed will hot the edge of the fridge as it slides out. That might be just the way the wood under the bed has been cut or sized.

But it's interesting that you say that. I'll certainly give it a go.

Currently I'm of the opinion that I might put the fridge (if I can return the current one) in the right hand cupboard now as it will fit perfectly, with the compressor next to it, and I can use the sink cupboard for storage.

But I'll try both.

Olly

Return to “Techie Stuff”