possible propshaft universal joint going

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

JulesMartin
Bongolier

possible propshaft universal joint going

Post by JulesMartin » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:59 am

Hi, I've noticed an increasing clonk when changing from 1st to 2nd on my 2.5 Diesel Auto 69 AWD, other gears are as smooth as always and no issue going into reverse. I imagine that the torque is greatest between 1st and 2nd than other gears. I have no vibration but wondering if I have a universal joint going on one of the props. I've not been underneath as yet, getting down there and up again these days is a bit of a struggle I can see one joint and just about wiggle it with the passenger side engine cover up. it doesn't look to be of the circlip type so i was wondering if anybody has managed to source the right UJ's for the props and do they need to be pressed in by a garage? Any help as always greatly appreciated.
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
Axsices
Junior Bongonaut

Re: possible propshaft universal joint going

Post by Axsices » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:22 pm

Hi,
When my rear prop died, it was the UJ that failed, it vibrated like a bugger over 20mph though!
My local garage removed the rear prop and sent it to Eurodriveshats to be fixed, in all they took £150 for the removal/repair/refit.
Been fine since...
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:16 am

Axsices wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:22 pm Hi,
When my rear prop died, it was the UJ that failed, it vibrated like a bugger over 20mph though!
My local garage removed the rear prop and sent it to Eurodriveshats to be fixed, in all they took £150 for the removal/repair/refit.
Been fine since...
Thanks for the reply really appreciated. I'll look them up. it isn't vibrating yet but feel it may just be a matter of time and I'd rather it go while its still up the drive than out and about. Cheers
Martin
mickc
Bongonaut

Post by mickc » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:37 pm

There's no mistaking the UJ failing, the van will try and shake itself to pieces.

Beware, once it starts to vibrate it is very close to failing which is likely to have catastrophic results if you're travelling at more than walking pace.
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:36 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm beginning to worry that it is something else now as there really isn't any vibration to speak of in a 25 year old diesel! Could it be something else about to let go. it really is quite an uncomfortable clonk as it changes gear. if i put my foot down so the change is quicker it's less noticeable. It doesn't feel like the gearbox is holding on to a gear too long it just feels like there is a lot of play in the drive train. I wonder if I was to take the front prop off if that would make any difference or just disguise the clonk as there is less machinery whizzing round?
Martin
Axsices
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Axsices » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:16 pm

Have you checked your ATF for the right level/colour/smell?
That should be your first port of call 👍👍
Mind and check it hot
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:39 pm

Check for wear on the slider splines on both shafts, it is usual for the front prop splines to be worn or the splines in where the front prop goes into the transfer box.
Grab the props and rotate quickly it should show.
You make take some out with the grease gun that no one seems to use nowadays.
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:18 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll check it all out maybe over the weekend if the weather is a bit cooler! who'd have thought we'd saying that! will keep you posted.
Martin

Return to “Techie Stuff”