Sidedoor stuck!!!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

hugsjugs
Bongonaut

Sidedoor stuck!!!

Post by hugsjugs » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:38 am

We're traveling round Brittany and our side door won't open!
I have my keys on a lanyard and they got shut in the door when I closed it. Managed to wrestle the keys out (they don't look too damaged) but the door won't open.

When the keys were stuck the lock wasn't doing anything but now it does appear to catch but you can't get that final 'clunk' to get it open. There is some movement in the door. Besides brute force does anyone have any suggestions?
hugsjugs
Bongonaut

Re: Sidedoor stuck!!!

Post by hugsjugs » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:36 am

Got the back pannel off and wiggled everything. Used a bit of force and it's open. It will now open and close. It also locks and unlocks ok but the soft lock isn't working. Doesnt make a sound or anything. Hopefully that will see us and through the holiday and I'll get the soft lock seen to at home. Soft lock now has 2 bars stuck in position.

Will my local garage know what to do with the soft lock?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:24 pm

Sliding door not working from either inside or outside

The mechanical soft close mechanism has not fully rotated, often caused by a flat or disconnected battery.

First try slapping HARD several times the inner door panel, 1/2way along and 1/3 way up, this is often sufficient to trip the switch and complete the rotation of the mechanism.

If above hasn't worked then you need to remove the inside door panel, open the plastic vapour barrier and manually rotate the mechanism.
Start by pressing the door panel inwards around the handle, so that you can hook out the "C"clip that holds the handle in place from the rear of the handle. Take care not to loose/drop the clip, pull the handle off, put the clip back in position straight away to avoid loosing it!

Unclip the panel itself from the door frame by carefully tugging the panel at the bottom, better still use a proper clip removal tool or a long flat screwdriver to release the clips

Now slide the panel up and off the clips, open the vapour barrier (remember you need to seal it again later), using a screwdriver push the rotating mechanism inside around - don't use your fingers - the system will catch up and take over and complete closure.
Reseal the vapour barrier, put the inner panel back in position, push the handle with clip back on the spindle until the clip clicks back in position.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
hugsjugs
Bongonaut

Post by hugsjugs » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:08 pm

Thanks Geoff. Hopefully it's not the battery as we had a brand new one put in before we left but it does sound like the mechanism hasn't rotated fully. As we've got it opening and closing we will try this in a few days when we're back in the UK. Hopefully we can get it rotating ourselves.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:52 pm

Check that the lanyard didn't damage the 5 connectors on the door frame (yes two door-lock, are recessed) or on the door side, if you have it sliding and shutting then its not the mechanism that's stuck as in the write-up I posted, could possibly be a fuse as well

Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
hugsjugs
Bongonaut

Post by hugsjugs » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:32 pm

Thank you. The connectors are fine. We've checked they're clean and can move freely too.
I'll check the fuses in the morning. Thanks for the picture (big help) There's nothing at all from the soft lock when we shut the door so I wonder if it is a fuse. We have a full set of spares with us.
hugsjugs
Bongonaut

Post by hugsjugs » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:27 pm

Update: I changed the fuse as you advised and the soft lock is working!
Thank you =D>
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:10 pm

Yeahhh... =D>

Return to “Techie Stuff”