First Bongo Non runner

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

MickMartin
Apprentice Bongonaut

First Bongo Non runner

Post by MickMartin » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:42 pm

Firstly many thanks for accepting me to the group and hope to many many discussions.

I’ve took ownership of a 1998 petrol 2.5 v6 2wd bongo on 160km(Non Runner).Having received this as a gift I’m determined to get it running and planned many a trip.
Basically the van had the timing belt done nearly 2 years ago to the day, Ran for a good 800
Miles then a sudden drop in power and a massive increase in fuel, eventually the engine stopped after not being able to make it over 20mph and it’s not ran since, there was mention of the catalytic converter being severely damaged/burnt in this incident.
I’ll do most mechanical jobs myself bar electrics so most things I can tackle & It'll be getting lifted to go to a unit soon to carry out the work myself, my questions are....

Anyone had similar power/fuel issues?

What’s the go to/reliable spark plug for the 2.5 v6 2wd petrol?

I’ve read a lot about the banjo filter needing cleaned, is that on all models or petrol/diesel variants?

Diagnostics, Only way to diagnose is the old LED and bridging the connections on the 17 plug pin?

Michael
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: First Bongo Non runner

Post by Bob » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:45 pm

Can't answer your questions, sorry, but welcome to the Forum. :)
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:56 pm

Best spark plug is NGK BKR5E-11.
No Banjo filters on petrol Bongo.
Correct, diagnostics via bridge on pins.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
MickMartin
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by MickMartin » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:08 pm

Thank you! I shall order some plugs immediately.

Has anyone successfully wired a wireless Ob2 diagnostics tool to the old style connector?

I recently watched https://youtu.be/c1nTtV82NCc this on YouTube and it seems this would be perfect if it worked with the bongo.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:33 pm

The diagnostics are NOT OBD2 or even OBDII. It does not talk in anything like the same way!
All you need is a link wire, a lamp and a working eyeball connected to a brain that can count flashes!
See http://www.philmcfadden.co.uk/MazdaDiagnosticBox.htm
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
MickMartin
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by MickMartin » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:11 pm

g8dhe wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:33 pm The diagnostics are NOT OBD2 or even OBDII. It does not talk in anything like the same way!
All you need is a link wire, a lamp and a working eyeball connected to a brain that can count flashes!
See http://www.philmcfadden.co.uk/MazdaDiagnosticBox.htm
Yeah I’ve seen that method being used on pre 2000 Subaru’s however that method on the video above converts J1850 protocol(mazda/Ford diagnostics) to Ob2, Essentially using the same signals but the output is the wireless odb2 rather than a LED , enable you to uses a wireless 3rd party application.

I’ll give it a try and if not I’ll revert to the old LED system,If successful it would be easy enough to run the wires through and have a permanent connection in the cab of the van.

Thanks again

Return to “Techie Stuff”