Running a wire to the parking camera

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Ollymuk
Bongonaut

Running a wire to the parking camera

Post by Ollymuk » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:30 pm

Hi all

Has anyone run a parking camera to the rear spoiler? Is there a straightforward route to take to the run the cable and power?

I was going to tap power from the reversing lights but they're no way near the spoiler. Between the headset and the camera is the reversing alarm, so that might do.

But where to run the cable? Through the roof liner or perhaps along the 12v feed from the front leisure battery, in to the kitchen, and somewhere from there?

It's for a P Reg van if that helps.

Olly
ever after.
Bongolier

Re: Running a wire to the parking camera

Post by ever after. » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:05 pm

That's mad, I just done this today :?

Cable can be ran down rear pillar and along under side panels, the rear drink holder/ash tray piece is held in with a single screw so you can use this space to fish the wires from the rear pillar through to the front using a rod, also the rear light is acceptable from here if you put a rod through from the hole behind the tail light.

IMG_20200801_205111.jpg
IMG_20200801_205854.jpg
IMG_20200801_205309.jpg
Rickster
Bongonaut

Re: Running a wire to the parking camera

Post by Rickster » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:13 pm

Mine's in the same place as above but the wiring was brought through the door another way, it took a while but got there in the end.
As for the wiring, the passenger side light unit was used to pick up the power, one is ground, the other positive when reverse light is on.
Most screens will have a changeover facility, this involves a third wire, this wire and the positive camera feed are connected to reverse light positive, the camera black wire is to ground on the lighting loom.
The above method works well.
As to how to run the video line from one end to the other, I removed the head lining as lighting feeds were to be installed behind there anyway, the wires were all run along the existing loom, cable ties sorted that one out!
There are simpler, less destructive methods out there but this was done out of convenience if anything.
Hope that helps.

Return to “Techie Stuff”