Installing noise suppression in the engine access panels

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Ollymuk
Bongonaut

Installing noise suppression in the engine access panels

Post by Ollymuk » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:02 pm

Hi

Someone has recommended that I attach 8mm closed cell foam and a layer of 2mm noise suppression stuff (forget the name at the mo) under the front seats, in the engine access areas to help with noise.

Has anyone done this style of thing? Did it help reduce engine noise inside the cab?

What type of glue did you use?

Any experience welcome.

Olly
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Re: Installing noise suppression in the engine access panels

Post by cwilliams255 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:07 pm

I have some dodo mat hex attached to mine, it’s self self adhesive as are most vehicle foams and sound insulation. I haven’t thought about attaching some closed cell foam but I’ve got loads of the kiravans silver stuff left over (7mm I think) so could do (if you’re anywhere near Sheffield you’re welcome to some). It’s not as much of a problem in my v6 as it was in old diesel.
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:29 pm

I thought about doing something similar but was worried incase the sound deadening material couldn't deal with the heat
Ollymuk
Bongonaut

Post by Ollymuk » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:59 am

cwilliams255 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:07 pm I have some dodo mat hex attached to mine, it’s self self adhesive as are most vehicle foams and sound insulation. I haven’t thought about attaching some closed cell foam but I’ve got loads of the kiravans silver stuff left over (7mm I think) so could do (if you’re anywhere near Sheffield you’re welcome to some). It’s not as much of a problem in my v6 as it was in old diesel.
Any photos when you're next under the seats, would be appreciated. Interested to see how to goes on.
Ollymuk
Bongonaut

Post by Ollymuk » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:00 am

ever after. wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:29 pm I thought about doing something similar but was worried incase the sound deadening material couldn't deal with the heat
I think you can get heat proof ones from the better suppliers. It's not cheap, but might be worth it.
Winnie-bongo
Bongonaut

Post by Winnie-bongo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:16 pm

Ollymuk wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:59 amAny photos when you're next under the seats, would be appreciated. Interested to see how to goes on.
I have put 10mm Dodo in my doors and under the seats, while I was fitting the cloth MX5 seats in the Winniebongo, I only have a couple of pictures which I have put on Instagram if that helps 🚐

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDcDwSNJVff ... 2fp09l97hs
MWiedenhof
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by MWiedenhof » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:47 am

I used Noico 80mil on mine. Did a pretty good job.

Return to “Techie Stuff”