Extending the rear blind switches

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Ollymuk
Bongonaut

Extending the rear blind switches

Post by Ollymuk » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:20 pm

It turns out that saying "Yes, great idea", isn't always a good idea.

I've been nominated to move the offside rear blind switches to the side of the kitchen panels to make them easier to reach.

The furthest one is proving hard as there isn't enough slack to allow me to get to the wire to cut the plug off and extend.

My current plan is to put the ends of some wire in each of the connector holes, and jam in some solder and apply heat, so that the wire is connected to the inside of the connectors. I can them crimp my wires. It'll be tough as reaching the plug is hard, but in theory it will work.

Anyone see any issues with this? Any experiences?

I appreciate that, with hindsight, I could have just moved the front blind buttons.

To make it more fun, I've ready cut the holes in the kitchen fascia for the buttons.

Olly
Rickster
Bongonaut

Re: Extending the rear blind switches

Post by Rickster » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:23 pm

Rather than bodging wires in connectors, it would be wise to use the original connector instead, with an extension of course.
Is it possible to have a picture of the original connector? I may possibly have them here, all the blind wiring was taken from the loom as there is no electric blinds in mine.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:30 pm

Obviously you need to sort it, but don't forget the blinds can be operated manualy with no harm. :wink:
Ollymuk
Bongonaut

Post by Ollymuk » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:32 pm

20200803_140437.jpg
20200803_140442.jpg
One of the problems is that there isn't the male side of the connector. That connector goes straight to the switch.

Extending the original loom, which I did with the other one, isn't an option here as there's no way to get at enough of the wire to even cut it, let alone recrimp new ends to extend it. To do that I'd need to remove the entire rear of the kitchen and at least one panel, and that's not something I'm going to start doing at the mo.

If you have something, I'd welcome any suggestions. So far the o ly other option I've come up with is to buy some 1.8mm male connector pins, which should fit in to the female holes on that connector. I can then crimp those on new wires, push them in, and the fit crimps to the other ends which attach to the switch.

Olly
Ollymuk
Bongonaut

Post by Ollymuk » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:34 pm

Bob wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:30 pm Obviously you need to sort it, but don't forget the blinds can be operated manualy with no harm. :wink:
They can? How? We've tried pulling them manually before and they don't give an inch. That was one of the reasons we wanted to move the switches in the first place, so the kids could easily move them from the back.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:41 pm

Never been a problem on mine.

Gentle pull or push does it. Mystery why yours would be difficult. :?
Ollymuk
Bongonaut

Post by Ollymuk » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:49 pm

Bob wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:41 pm Never been a problem on mine.

Gentle pull or push does it. Mystery why yours would be difficult. :?
Odd. I've pulled mine hard enough that I might break them if I pull any more.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:58 pm

Indeed odd, certainly shouldn't be that tough.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:18 am

Problem with going off the socket like that is your gonna need a plug when you get to the switch.
There should be enough slack to allow you to snip the plug off and extend. Is the van insulated,could that be stopping you getting the slack?
In the image I posted re speakers you can see the slack you should have.

Incidently if you look at the dangling red wire in that image behind it is a white block with black tape around it. That is a spare window switch plug unpopulated. No idea why they taped it in but FYI.
Ollymuk
Bongonaut

Post by Ollymuk » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:53 am

Thanks.

The wire I'm looking at appears to be the whiter pale window switch wire in your photo. It doesn't show well in the photo but the wire is part of a loom that seems to either come from the rear, or go to the rear. That bit of the loom is stopping the switch wire from moving.

In reality I'm doing all this whilst jammed in a cupboard behind the kitchen. I would try to cut the loom sheath with a knife but the cha ces are I'll cut a wire.

The spare switch feed seemed ideal, if for now other reason than it gives me a plug to cut off and reuse, however I can't see it here so it must be hidden behind the panel to the rear somewhere.

Olly
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:25 pm

Hmm wondered if mine was an odd one,I had one taped in to each of the window feeds.
I think I left them attatched but maybe not, I will have a look in the "bits left over" box whe I get back if there is I will let you know.
Ollymuk
Bongonaut

Post by Ollymuk » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:29 pm

Out of interest, what 12v cable do you use for doing switches etc? I've been buying it from amazon and grabbing whatever seems to be available. Mostly 30amp or 16amp thin stuff as the fuse seems to require.

Im just winging it but thought I'd check to see if people are using a set type.
Rickster
Bongonaut

Post by Rickster » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:56 pm

Just found them, the wires are approx 2 foot long, there are five of them, if these cound be spliced in, then it may solve the problem.
I have a box of scrap stuff awaiting disposal, if anyone can make use of it.
Attachments
20200804_155233.jpg
20200804_155258.jpg
Rickster
Bongonaut

Post by Rickster » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:00 pm

Correction, 1 is a fit long, the other looks to be about 2 foot.
These are pretty much as seen in the below pic, please excuse the white wash, the phone insisted on using the flash.
Attachments
20200804_155846.jpg
Ollymuk
Bongonaut

Post by Ollymuk » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:39 pm

Whereabouts are you Rick?

Return to “Techie Stuff”