Strange noise with key in ignition

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Chief Brody
Bongonaut

Strange noise with key in ignition

Post by Chief Brody » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:12 am

Hi all. Not sure if anyone else has ever had this. Very strange. I put the key in ignition this morning and as soon as I turned it to the first position (waiting for the light to go out before starting up) , a grinding noise emitted from somewhere. Was quite loud and sounded a bit like a loud slowly creaking door opening. The rev counter was also rising a little. All this was before I started the engine. I removed key from ignition and did the process again and it started fine. Not sure if it's connected but, over the weekend, when I went to start the engine it refused and sounded like there was no power. Like the battery was flat even though it was full. Didn't turn over. But then it started fine and all was well. Not sure what is going on but it has dented my confidence in taking the bongo much further than around town. Any ideas?
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Re: Strange noise with key in ignition

Post by JulesMartin » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:10 am

putting the two incidents together could it be a lose battery terminal or bad earth? was the heater fan on at the time? could something have jammed that up? do you have the warning buzzer connected as sometimes that gives off a peculiar noise instead of buzzing.
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:19 am

You also get the vanes in the air con box moving at start up to push air onto the windscreen to clear away any condensation, it might be the servo's your hearing ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Chief Brody
Bongonaut

Post by Chief Brody » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:38 am

Thanks for both replies. This was a noise I've never heard before from any car. It really didn't sound healthy. It was like a loud grinding straight after I put the key in the ignition. Like something was trying to do something but had slightly seized. Then the rev counter started moving up. Very strange. Thanks for the ideas. I'm not sure if the heater or air-con were on when it started. I just didn't notice if they were. Hopefully it does it again and I can take more notice. I 'll have a look at the battery connections and earths. Thanks again.

Return to “Techie Stuff”