Relay connector query - Headlights (linked to problem with tail, number, side & dash lights)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Achooski
Apprentice Bongonaut

Relay connector query - Headlights (linked to problem with tail, number, side & dash lights)

Post by Achooski » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:19 pm

Hello all,

Recently, our tail lights, number-plate light, side-lights & dashboard would not illuminate.

That situation triggered a search in these forums; the threads I found relevant are listed below for reference.

I checked fuses (no 10 under dash & no 8 under bonnet), which were both fine.

I then started to look for & identify the relays.

A helpful post from MikeWalsall in the Lights???? thread described & illustrated the sequence and location of several relays.

First issue
There should have been 4 x H270 relays there, but the 2nd from left was actually a Volvo 9441160 (multi-use) 5 pin relay, with the connectors in a different formation.

Second issue
I found our relays are not in the same sequence (Tail, side etc are first & headlights are second).

By listening to (and feeling for) the relay click for headlights = ON, I established that the Volvo relay was the headlight one.

By disconnecting the other relays individually & trying the air-con and then the fog-lights, I confirmed the air-con & fog-light relays were in the expected sequence & were working.

So, this left the faulty tail, number, side & dashboard lights relay. I put the fog-light relay there for now, and will order a new replacement one - hopefully with some guidance ...

Where I need assistance is with
  • I've seen lots of H270 relays for sale, but they seem to have different codes and different prices. Is there a specific one for the Bongo's tail, number-plate, side & dash lights, please?
  • The headlight connectors on the Volvo relay; these aren't in a block like they are on the H270 relays, they are in a pattern as shown below - with only 4 of the 5 terminals connected. I've tried to make sense of the image printed on the relay, but I can't fathom it. I want to change it to also be a H270 relay, but I need help in understanding which connector should go where. There are wires connected to terminals 1,2,3 & 5 (no 4 in centre is not connected). Can someone guide me on which pin goes where onto the H270 ?
I've tried to embed the images below, but they're also clickable links (just in case they don't embed properly into the post).
The 4th & 5th image are the connector pin-outs on the Volvo and H270 relays respectively.

Many thanks for any assistance / guidance offered.

Referenced threads
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Relay connector query - Headlights (linked to problem with tail, number, side & dash lights)

Post by g8dhe » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:05 am

The relays have a Date of manufacture code on them which all ways varies of course.
The connections to the relay are best taken from the wiring diagrams and use colour codes on wires to identify, pin outs of connectors at bottom of diagram;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”