Water pump change interval

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

philsteward
Junior Bongonaut

Water pump change interval

Post by philsteward » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:33 pm

Hi all, apologies if this is somewhere but I can't find it. I have a 1996 2.5 diesel and I am wondering if the water pump is a service item (changed at intervals) or if that is not required?

The van had a new water pump in 2015, when I assume the coolant was last changed too. It is now due coolant, cambelt etc. It does have a Haydn coolant alarm.

There are no issues with the water pump, no leaks. I am planning on doing the cambelt plus tensioner and spring. I am also changing the coolant and at the same time will change the thermostat due to a number of posts I have read.

However I have not seen anything about changing the water pump as a matter of course. I know it isn't driven by the cambelt, so in other cars it would normally be advisable to change with a cambelt. I have a low coolant alarm so should it start to fail I should be informed.

Thoughts please from those experienced here. Only just bought the van and new to Bongos! But very much loving them too!!
1996 4WD 2.5d full side conversion with 6 seats & AFT
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Water pump change interval

Post by g8dhe » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:43 pm

I've not seen an actual period mentioned but many do change them with the cam belts.
I have this problem myself, changed the cam belt (V6 so much more expensive) 2 years ago but not the water pump, ever since then I have noticed the temperature climbing higher and higher over many months but if I drop into Hold and increase the engine speed the temperature falls back to normal, which makes me think its the water pump which is possibly losing efficiency ... will have to bite the bullet shortly and change the lot again aas I believe that its not recommended to remove the cam belt and replace ? :-(
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
philsteward
Junior Bongonaut

Re: Water pump change interval

Post by philsteward » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:08 am

Thanks for the reply. If the cambelt drives the water pump it is always best to change the pump when doing the cambelt for the exact reason you mention.

You're half way (pending mileage) for your cambelt, might just be worth doing it if you are keeping the van.

I think I'll do mine. Seems illogical not to, especially given the issues if coolant loss or overheating occur.
1996 4WD 2.5d full side conversion with 6 seats & AFT

Return to “Techie Stuff”