2.5d 1995 Auto gearbox/solenoid/accumulator springs

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

SteveG
Junior Bongonaut

2.5d 1995 Auto gearbox/solenoid/accumulator springs

Post by SteveG » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:01 am

Done 2 stupid things!
1. In lowering the valve body (replacing solenoid pack) I failed to note (late in the day and lowering from the drivers side) the order of the accumulator springs. One largest and fatter than the other 2 which are of a similar length but one slightly larger diameter. I am assuming! that the largest at front and the other 2 in size order (larger smaller) at the rear. However, there are 4 accumulator "ports" from front to back and number 3 does not appear to have anything in it. So, 3 springs, 4 ports. Has anybody any idea/experience of the this?
PS nothing "sprang" out or fell off during lowering.....these are the parts/springs which I have.
2. Embarked on this in the first place.

I will mark and photograph the valve body bolts which are removed in this process for anybody brave enough to embark on this fairly straight forward job. Help with the spring locations would be perfect for a complete set of instructions.

Thanks in advance.
valve body...springs not in correct places???
valve body...springs not in correct places???
accumulator ports
accumulator ports
SteveG
Junior Bongonaut

Re: 2.5d 1995 Auto gearbox/solenoid/accumulator springs

Post by SteveG » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:04 pm

Ok...after further research using the lushprojects diagrams I reckon that pot 4 (from the front) has no accumulator spring as it has an internal spring.
That means 3 pots 3 springs. Pot 2 appears to have a larger spring leaving me to choose between the 2 smaller springs. 50/50?
SteveG
Junior Bongonaut

Post by SteveG » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:14 pm

Problem solved. I realised, after 24 hours of forums and research, that I do have a brain. The springs are designed to fit the pot! there is no way of going wrong even if they fall out while you are lowering the valve body. See attached photo. The actuator at the left of the springs has a spring behind the piston in the valve body.
IMG_20200910_142405.jpg
Here are the original instructions sent with the solenoid pack.
IMG_20200910_170940.jpg
IMG_20200910_170916.jpg
To sumarise. Fitting a solenoid pack is not that difficult. I used a pump to remove old ATF. A jack for the sump and the valve body. Everything is 10mm. And best of all my Bongo works great!!
Hope this helped :-)
Xwizzx
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Xwizzx » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:50 pm

Hi there I’m just in middle of doing mine and found your post brilliant. Looking at the old one to the new I take it I need to take the casings of and put on new ones . How is your van now you did it

Return to “Techie Stuff”