Door light not activating with the doors

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

phillips321
Junior Bongonaut

Door light not activating with the doors

Post by phillips321 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:10 pm

Hi all,

I've just picked up a new to me 1996 Mazda Bongo Camper and it has a few issues that I'd like to tinker with to sort. So apologies for the multiple posts, I just thought it would be easier to track this way.

My door light near the front windscreen does not come on with the opening of the doors, even though the switch is turned on. The lights do work by manually pressing the two buttons.

Any idea what this could be? There are three wire's going to this light unit, can anyone describe what they are? Two grounds and a single live or the other way around? The switch works as I've checked continuity with it both on and off. Any idea what I should start looking at.

Thanks in advance
rita
Supreme Being

Re: Door light not activating with the doors

Post by rita » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:20 pm

Check that the door switch is there and working,or it could be a broken wire from the sw.
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:42 pm

If the door switch is there, down at the bottom edge near the step in and is working, it may be corroded up. try a bit of your favourite spray on the button whilst pushing it in and out may do the trick. I think it is just a phillips screw to remove them so you could give them a clean up if this does prove to be the problem. Welcome to Bongo Land by the way. also by the way you will find that a lot of your issues will be due to corrosion and oxidisation.
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
phillips321
Junior Bongonaut

Post by phillips321 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:36 pm

JulesMartin wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:42 pm If the door switch is there, down at the bottom edge near the step in and is working, it may be corroded up. try a bit of your favourite spray on the button whilst pushing it in and out may do the trick. I think it is just a phillips screw to remove them so you could give them a clean up if this does prove to be the problem. Welcome to Bongo Land by the way. also by the way you will find that a lot of your issues will be due to corrosion and oxidisation.
Ok so have figured out the lights activate with the other doors so it must just be both switches for the driver and passenger doors. Ill have a look at them properly. I quickly wriggled the wire behind and it appears that it's the wire/contact so thanks for helping me narrow down the problem :-)

Return to “Techie Stuff”