Diesel Heater

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Tessie
Bongolier

Re: Diesel Heater

Post by Tessie » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:09 pm

The air intake for my heater is in the vertical bit in front of the passenger seat, you can just see it circled in orange in first photo. Heater outlet is in the centre of engine cowling pointing in to rear of the van.
I think part of the reason for taking the air from inside the living area, besides not drawing in exhaust fumes, is that it is drawing in already heated air so doesn't have to work as hard as if it was heating up cold air so saving fuel..........I don't know how much it will save though, can't be much.
Attachments
Heater - air intake.jpg
20200528_104726 - Copy.jpg
Never run out of road, traction and ideas at the same time.
Colin
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Colin » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:33 am

Don't suppose you have a under bonnet photo you could share?
Tessie
Bongolier

Post by Tessie » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:23 pm

Tried to take some photos for you but couldn't get any good enough to show the flexible hose route from the heater to the centre console outlet. The heater has a straight outlet at the front with a some flexible hose connecting it to the intake vent in front of the passenger seat. The outlet at the rear of the heater has a 90 degree outlet pointing downwards with the flexible hose going under the chassis and back up the other side making a U bend under the chassis then fed through to the adjustable outlet vent. Hope that helps 🤔
Never run out of road, traction and ideas at the same time.
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:19 pm

Mine was slightly different, 90 degree outlet at either end, intake facing down to allow the vent to be a bit lower down, hot air out pointing towards exhaust manifold area and then to middle of center console. Hose melted first time round on exhaust but after some extra heat proofing it was fine. I don’t have any particularly useful pictures. I’ll be starting the install on my new v6 soon so this time I’ll capture more pictures as the install for a v6 doesn’t seem to be documented
Colin
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Colin » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:21 pm

I see. I was thinking the hose needs to go across, I will look at going down. Many thanks.

Return to “Techie Stuff”