Roof Cracked

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Jiujitero
Apprentice Bongonaut

Roof Cracked

Post by Jiujitero » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:06 pm

Hello. Bought my first Bongo 2 weeks ago and was getting ready to camp on it for the first time, but unfortunately the roof cracked (see pictures) on both sides. I wanted to ask the members if this is fixable or if it needs to be replaced? I rang a Bongo garage and the quoted £700 to replace and fit, however the replacement is a second hand one, which made me wonder if I do have to go that route, should I just buy a new one (not sure how expensive they are). Please let me know if you know a garage that would either fix it or replace it at a reasonable cost. I live near Windsor, but don't mind a long drive to a good garage.Thank you.
Attachments
RoofCrack.jpg
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Roof Cracked

Post by g8dhe » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:17 pm

Welcome.
I very much doubt that you will be able to source a new one.
There have been people who have reported repairing them in the past, but depends on just how much damage has been done, if both sides have cracked then that's not a good sign :-(
You would probably be best getting a replacement from a breakers and having it fitted.
Had you opened and closed the roof previously after buying it ? Such damage normally occurs when the Teleflex cables or motors become disconnected from the roof and then only one side is moving whilst the other side is stuck.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:24 pm

Might be worthwhile considering an after market pop up,when you think about most of the work re van roof has already been done.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:30 pm

As Geoff says, you won't get a new one.

Worth checking the price with Bongo Spares, but £700 fitted doesn't sound terrible.

Really rotten luck, but welcome aboard.

Return to “Techie Stuff”