Removing winter pack

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Chief Brody
Bongonaut

Removing winter pack

Post by Chief Brody » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:15 am

Hi all. Hope someone can confirm that I've done ok with this. I have a 1998 2.5 TD winter pack Bongo and have been wanting to make space under the front passenger seat to install a heater. This is what was here before I started:

I removed everything that looked like it belonged to the winter pack and was left with 2 pipes. One thin one to the left and 1 thicker one pointing up to the right. I capped both the best I could last night. I also removed what I'm assuming was a power feed to the winter pack. Is there anything I've done wrong or something that I've missed? Any help would be great. Thank you. This is how it looks now.

Chief Brody
Bongonaut

Re: Removing winter pack

Post by Chief Brody » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:12 pm

Ok, well I had a look in the members area and found the instructions for installing a heater in a new shape bongo with winter pack. This made things a little clearer to me. However, it mentioned the following:

3 way connector, replace with single reducer or block off
open end of the pipe which went to the winter pack controls.

Metal vaccum pipe bent back and connected to VAC reservoir

Not sure what that means. I'll do some more searching.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:17 pm

The valve in the exhaust is operated by the vacuum system via an electrical driven solenoid, the reference is to making sure that the vacuum system is left intact and the outlet that went to the valve is blocked off to preserve the vacuum.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Chief Brody
Bongonaut

Post by Chief Brody » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:48 pm

Thank you Geoff. So me blocking off the two pipes is good enough? I blocked off the thin one on the left by twisting an bolt into it. Same to the pipe on the right facing up. Hoping this is enough. Worried it might not be 100% air tight. Thanks again.

Return to “Techie Stuff”