Thermostat

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

MightyBongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Thermostat

Post by MightyBongo » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:17 pm

Hello everybody, New 1997 Bongo 4wd TD owner with possibly the same olde questions you get many times over.

I think I have read through most entries on thermostats, but I'm not getting answers to my questions. My thermostat is jammed open I suspect, and I'm concerned that I will need to bleed the whole coolant system when I change it.

If not, how much coolant will I loose roughly during the procedure, Is that known so I can have it ready made up and can I top it up from the header tank without needing to see saw bleed the system? I don't mind putting the work in, and my new to me Bongo has no history, however appears to have a had a new radiator fitted recently so don't see the point in a full flush and bleed. I'm currently 'pink lint' (skint, or of limited finances). Not that that's a new situation to me, but I'm having to be careful what I spend my money on at the moment. I see you are all very helpful and friendly so I look forward to some great advice, and I wait in anticipation for your replies.

I do have a rough idea how to do it... move the dip stick tube out the way by means of removing the 10mm bolt that secures its position and then remove the 2 bolts into the thermostat housing. Replace the thermostat with the mouse ear towards the driver door.

Any corrections or more nuggets of gold would be appreciated. Pictures or videos of someone doing the job even better, though I've hunted and couldn't find one.

After this job I'll be replacing the Rocker cover gasket so will be dismantling the center console for access I believe.... anyway let me not get ahead of myself. I really look forward to hearing from you. :D
97 2.5 TD 4WD
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Thermostat

Post by g8dhe » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:24 pm

The thermostat is at a point below the top of the engine, when you open thermostat housing you will drain quite a bit out of the engine, this is where air locks start! Hoping that when you refill you won't get a an air lock is going to lead to problems and possibly damage unless you follow the full procedure.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
MightyBongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by MightyBongo » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:34 pm

Cheers Geoff, thanks for your prompt reply. Will have to look at recruiting a team of 3 to see saw then. :roll: :roll: Not the best news in the world but such is life.
97 2.5 TD 4WD
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:53 pm

Nah doesn't need three :-) Also take a look here at Helen's idea viewtopic.php?f=3&t=69879
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
MightyBongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by MightyBongo » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:41 pm

Wow, some of you really know how to invent some clever solutions. Off to the garage to build something now to replicate your ideas. I may be back with further questions.... Thank you again Geoff :D
97 2.5 TD 4WD
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:54 pm

Being a bit cynical With the new rad I wonder if someone has removed the thermostat Maybe was running a bit hot in the summer
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:21 pm

Fair few alarm bells in your post for me, hope it is a stuck thermostat, good luck.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent

Return to “Techie Stuff”