Rear suspension bump/bottoming out

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

The Wanderer
Bongonaut

Rear suspension bump/bottoming out

Post by The Wanderer » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:20 pm

Hi all

I suspect my rear suspension needs some attention.

I had the front shocks changed recently which has made a notable improvement and the garage reckoned the rear shocks looked OK. However, the rear end is lower than the front and over speed bumps, even driving really slowly, I get a noticeable bump.

Having read posts extensively here, I can see this is a common issue with a number of possible solutions. It seems the bump stops only have around 40mm clearance where it has been noted here it should be 75mm maybe. But what determines the height of the rear of the van in the first place?

I'm not sure how long the springs should be for instance. Would that make a difference to the ride height if they were shorter than standard?

What should I look at changing first?

I'd prefer to get the suspension operating near normal, then maybe consider air assisters if things haven't greatly improved.

Thanks
Geoff
'02 Charcoal Grey 2.5 V6 Full Side Conversion
rita
Supreme Being

Re: Rear suspension bump/bottoming out

Post by rita » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:23 pm

Sounds like your rear springs are a bit tired, the only thing that would help them is a good sleep in the bin.
The Wanderer
Bongonaut

Re: Rear suspension bump/bottoming out

Post by The Wanderer » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:51 pm

Thanks Rita, I did wonder about the tiredness of the springs. Maybe time to bin them as you suggest.
Geoff
'02 Charcoal Grey 2.5 V6 Full Side Conversion

Return to “Techie Stuff”