Newbie electric question

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

andabby
Apprentice Bongonaut

Newbie electric question

Post by andabby » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:02 pm

Hi, first post newbie here.
We have just inherited a Bongo and looking forward to getting out and about, living North East Scotland, i realise this will probably be next year, though a night or 2 in the cold is on the card soon.
My question is, we have a 85Ah leisure battery fitted, but at the minute it only runs the sinks water pump and a light bove the rock and roll bed. What can i get it to run, im hoping for the radio, blinds and some sort of power outlet in the back? Also will a normal auto-electrician do any fixing, or do i need a proper caravan and camper place to do it? i have read posts that mention invertors, convertors and even flux capaciters, but all Greek to me.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Newbie electric question

Post by g8dhe » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:57 pm

Welcome aboard!

Sounds like you need a Swap Loom fitting to transfer 4 circuits from the fuse panel by the drivers knee to a new fuse box (part of the added loom) onto the leisure battery. Check to see if the radio can be switched On/Off from its panel, some can't in which case you need the swap loom with the switch for the radio see here for details https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/bespokeautoe ... ervices_uk
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
andabby
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by andabby » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:06 pm

Thanks for the quick response.
My radio does switch off with the power switch on it, so guess that will do away with an extra switch.
Are these kits as easy as they say to fit? im not a stranger to a bit of spanner rash, just with having my drive done im not really wanting to be scrapping a melted Bongo off of it.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:47 pm

The kits a re good quality and really are easy to fit, they are already pre-crimped up its just a case of screwing various items onto the plastic work in the vicinity!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”