Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

PLM
Apprentice Bongonaut

Heater Blower works only under particular circumstances

Post by PLM » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:39 pm

1996 2.5 diesel 4wd Bongo AFT
Bought from a ‘dealer’ 2 weeks ago.
The dealer showed me that the small fusebox positioned by the positive battery terminal on the drivers side was missing the 100 Amp blue fuse marked ‘MAIN’, and that when the dealer shoved a large flathead screwdriver blade (with force) to short out the 100 amp fuse position, the heater motor would work.
My new Blue 100 amp fuse has arrived and I’ve bolted it into position. Heater blower does not work.
Need I disconnect both batteries and open the fuseBox by the positive terminal on the drivers side battery, remove the fuses and clean up the contacts as best I can?
Any other suggestions?
The dealer is 7 hours drive away, lied about the vehicle and it’s condition, and inadvertently accepted my haggling him down to almost half his asking price. He is most unlikely to honour his verbal 3 month guarantee, as after I made him the bank transfer he tried to stop me making the V5 transfer online and wanted to reverse the whole transaction. So I have no receipt and no history.
I had cambelt, all belts, water pump and thermostat changed, diesel engine oil fuel and air filters changed with oil change and coolant (plus bleed) done by a local allegedly Bongo friendly garage, who charged me £860 odd. Ouch.
Now onto the smaller yet important niggles.
Any idea how I might tease my heater blower to work?
Thanks very much
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Heater Blower works only under particular circumstances

Post by g8dhe » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:12 pm

I don't believe the fuse itself is the problem, as it says that fuse is the main fuse and powers lots of things within the Bongo including the power to the starter motor relay and its solenoid, if that fuse wasn't working then you would never have started it!

I would suggest that the problem is elsewhere and that the "shoved a large flathead screwdriver blade (with force)" was affecting by pressure another part of the loom!

See for the starter motor circuit!

Also the air fan relay and fuses
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
PLM
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Heater Blower works only under particular circumstances

Post by PLM » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:38 pm

Thanks Geoff, I’ll look at the schematics at a laptop at home. This iphone won’t display them.
I was dreading that answer..

Return to “Techie Stuff”