Timing belt issues 2.5litre V6 petrol

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Farkelife
Apprentice Bongonaut

Timing belt issues 2.5litre V6 petrol

Post by Farkelife » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:38 pm

Hello Folks
My timing belt has failed/snapped on my V6 petrol bongo. I want to get it repaired but I am getting conflicting information from various sources. My local bongo dealer has apparently never known any damage to occur to the heads/valves etc if the belt goes on the V6 and thinks it's just a matter of putting a new timing belt kit on (unfortunately they only do work on their own bongos).
However, the local mechanics I've spoken to have scared the life out of me! They may have to replace valves/pistons/get the heads skimmed etc. and they can't give me an exact price because they don't know what is wrong with it (which is fair enough I guess).
The belt failed at about 15mph, at low revs, literally at the end of my road. I didn't hear any nasty banging or metal crunching...can it have caused untold damage??
I just wondered what your thoughts were on this. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
rita
Supreme Being

Re: Timing belt issues 2.5litre V6 petrol

Post by rita » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:15 pm

You wont know until you fit a belt and test , its in your favour that it happened at a low speed.
Flanners
Bongolier

Re: Timing belt issues 2.5litre V6 petrol

Post by Flanners » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:44 pm

Odds are in your favour, non-interference that sometimes sustains damage.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=67946
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent

Return to “Techie Stuff”