Instrument Cluster PCB

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Kirsty1330
Junior Bongonaut

Instrument Cluster PCB

Post by Kirsty1330 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:36 pm

Just checking over my other Bongo (Camper) as looking to sell it due to lack of use...

Will be putting a fresh MOT on so was giving it a check over as it’s been sitting for a while. Noticed a small weep from the power steering rack so have ordered & received a seal kit from the shop, just need to fit them when I get a chance.

I noticed my left indicator wasn’t working on the dash cluster (it works fine front & rear but no indication on the cluster)
Removed the cluster to find the PCB sheet has split, picture attached...

(I’ve removed the bulb from the socket, just incase anyone notices & thinks this may be the issue... the PCB is 100% split)

Does anyone know if this can be repaired, if a replacement PCB can be sourced & where from or would this be a complete instrument cluster?

I’ve had nothing but trouble with my newer 2002 Bongo & never an issue with my old 98’ camper but just as I’ve advertised it this happens🙈🤣
Attachments
2B58EADD-9B32-4B12-8D98-AFD0E1782D67.jpeg
FC0CF957-68F1-4BA8-87BC-9947C2C23448.jpeg
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Instrument Cluster PCB

Post by g8dhe » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:04 pm

A couple of options for repairing the flexible PCB, depending on the flexible substrate used you maybe able to carefully solder one or two fine wires (open up a multi-strand wire and just use a couple of strands) across the gap, first clean the copper track areas of any insulating coating and make sure there nice bright copper, same applies for the wire make sure its nice and clean then with a good quality cored 60/40 solder, use adequate heat but not to hot as the substrate might melt!
The other technique is to use liquid silver paint to "glue" the fine wires to the cleaned copper surface, this is normally the resort if the substrate turns out to be the type that melts before solder does! The glue is available from Amazon etc. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=silver+conductive+paint
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Kirsty1330
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Kirsty1330 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:09 pm

Perfect, cheers for the info.
Think the glue will be the way to go as the flexible PCB Looks like it would melt way before the solder👍

Will get some ordered tonight & give it a go when I get a chance.
Thanks for the info & link, will let you know if it works.
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:24 am

The copper tracking solders up nicely I wouldn’t bother with glue

Return to “Techie Stuff”