Headlamps and what to do!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BernieBongo1955
Bongonaut

Headlamps and what to do!

Post by BernieBongo1955 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:15 pm

Good Afternoon Bongonauts,
Hope all are safe and well. Just need some advice, travelled back from Dorchester to Cheltenham yesterday due to weather conditions causing the awning to flex like a "fiddlers elbow" and pegs flying out of the sodden ground! I thought i know i will travel back on A roads and avoid the usual M5 Friday night misery, but the lights on Bernie were shocking to say the least; a very stressful journey, I thought is it me but have no problems driving a 2015 Corsa. I really would just like the latest thinking on how to improve my 2001 bongo's lighting, the lenses are a little yellow but by no means cloudy. I have tried to search for info but a bit confused by Nightbreakers and ceramic plugs etc. Thanking you anticipation.
Kind Regards Paul
Paul - Gloucestershire -2001 2.5 V6 Pop Top
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken"
nth
Bongolier

Re: Headlamps and what to do!

Post by nth » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:30 pm

Nightbreakers are great but the big downside is the lifespan of them is shocking, i tried a couple of sets in my other car & neither set even lasted 3 months (aprox only 30% of that night driving). They aint cheap so could work out quite expensive to replace every few months.
Yes they were genuine ones from an official stockists, i know there are loads of fakes out there.

I have fitted an HID conversion, the downside is because the Bongo uses H4 bulbs the flash function is not very effective if the lights are not already on as they take a couple of seconds to get up to full brightness.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:12 pm

Hi
I think we all experience this dilemma, I bought some bulbs from lidl and have to say they made a big difference, they have been in a year now and admittedly I dont drive many miles at all, but they are
bright, cheap and currently still working.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:17 pm

Get the elbow grease onto the lenses it will be an improvement .You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your lenses with Pepsodent .
Donnie
Bongonaut

Post by Donnie » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:25 pm

'96 AWD 2.5 diesel with AFT
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:26 am

rita wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:17 pm Get the elbow grease onto the lenses it will be an improvement .You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your lenses with Pepsodent .

Made me laugh:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zoPOb6dfI4E
BernieBongo1955
Bongonaut

Post by BernieBongo1955 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:20 am

nth wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:30 pm Nightbreakers are great but the big downside is the lifespan of them is shocking, i tried a couple of sets in my other car & neither set even lasted 3 months (aprox only 30% of that night driving). They aint cheap so could work out quite expensive to replace every few months.
Yes they were genuine ones from an official stockists, i know there are loads of fakes out there.

I have fitted an HID conversion, the downside is because the Bongo uses H4 bulbs the flash function is not very effective if the lights are not already on as they take a couple of seconds to get up to full brightness.
Thanks for you reply NTH, Just wondered if you could expand on the "HID" bit, is this a straight replacement for the Bongo bulb, as you can guess i'm not a sparky or a mech! Do you have to observe the same wattages, type, shape etc.

Cheers Paul
BernieBongo1955
Bongonaut

Post by BernieBongo1955 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:22 am

Morning Bongonauts,
Thanks so much for all your replies , really good as always. How did they get the stripes in "Signal" toothpaste!!! #-o
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:48 pm

BernieBongo1955 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:20 am
Thanks for you reply NTH, Just wondered if you could expand on the "HID" bit, is this a straight replacement for the Bongo bulb, as you can guess i'm not a sparky or a mech! Do you have to observe the same wattages, type, shape etc.
[/quote]
Not exactly a direct replacement, You have to fit some ballasts too, it all comes in the kit though & is straightforward to fit. They come in different colour 'temperatures', mines are 6000k, a very slight blue tinge. The kit comes with its own wiring kit & uses the original wiring only as a switching signal so not really any load on the original wiring. mines have been in for around 5 years now with no issues & still on the original bulbs.
Only one other thing, they are technically not quite legal when fitted aftermarket. HID lights are meant to have a self cleaning system & self levelling system. The cleaning system would be easy enough to do, self leveling could be a bit more tricky.
Mines are adjusted spot on & never have any issues with people flashing lights at me.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:01 pm

BernieBongo1955 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:22 am Morning Bongonauts,
Thanks so much for all your replies , really good as always. How did they get the stripes in "Signal" toothpaste!!! #-o

There's three tiny elves in the top of the tube, each with a pot of food dye and a brush.

They apply a even coat of dye as you squeeze the tube, and it's why you can't roll the tube to the very top - you'd hurt them.

Also, the 'use by' date is to allow them out for a holiday before they make their own way back to the factory and take their place in a new tube.

Some elves work in the same team for many years, but a few prefer to work with new friends in each tube - this is personal choice as there are no employer or union rules on this.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:38 am

Even when headlight covers were in v good condition i found Bongo headlights underwhelming. The solution for me was a pair of spotlights, set dipped and slightly to one side and wired to operate with main beam. Been great since.

Ben - due to cost cutting theres only 2 elves these days. Bring back the good old days :roll: :lol:
BernieBongo1955
Bongonaut

Post by BernieBongo1955 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:56 am

Morning Bongonauts,
Thanks again for your replies, especially Bob!
I was just thinking that perhaps decent front spot/fog lights would be a good solution, Bernie does not have factory fogs fitted, forgive my lack of knowledge, could this mean that the appropriate wiring would be in place in order to fit spot/fog lamps? Just one other thought how does LED bulbs fit into this conundrum ? Stay safe... Paul
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:11 am

If the Fog's weren't fitted at the factory then you will be missing a relay and wiring loom, some of the inside cab loom will be there leading to the switch blank position but the looms under the bonnet won't be present so you would have to fit your own wiring.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”