Coolant alarm

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

haydn callow
Supreme Being

Re: Coolant alarm

Post by haydn callow » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:17 pm

In the past 10 years we have not had a low coolant alarm returned broken, as far as I know we have 100% reliability. The only known problem is fresh red 5 year coolant which seems to coat the screw for a couple of weeks after a coolant change.
It seems a lifetime ago when along with help from members on this forum we developed this alarm to suit our Bongos and since then thousands have been fitted and many cylinder heads saved. Happy days and Happy Christmas to all Bongoliers.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:43 am

Mine has saved my head twice, whenever it sounds your hoping the alarm is faulty but annoying it's always something far worse!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:25 am

Yep, mine did it's job well.

Wee leak in the bleed hose caused coolant loss overnight, alarm sounded when I started Bongy for work.

Without the alarm I would have set off in blissful ignorance and cooked it up on the way in.
Mari
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Mari » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:34 pm

Hi.

I've had my Hayden coolant alarm for some time now. (Had it installed after an overheating issue a while back. Had already had new cylinder heads installed and then had to have them ground down when it went wrong again. Had the alarm installed and the system thoroughly checked - I recall that a small leak was found - and things have been fine ever since.)

Today, I took the van out to pick up essentials. (I've not been using it that much recently because of lockdown and various other problems, but I've been using it for a shopping run most weeks.) Stopped at a shop, went back to the van and switched on. Alarm immediately went off. Temperature on alarm was 102 - I don't think that's too high - or is it?

Bought a bottle of water and unscrewed coolant cap to top up. Did put in a little bit of water, but honestly don't think it had actually lost coolant. Does anyone have any idea as to what is wrong? I actually have the van booked in for its MOT on Wednesday, though I'm expecting it to fail - it needs a bit of welding which I'm happy to pay for. Just wondering if the alarm was the death knell for my Bongo. :(

I'm puzzled, because the alarm didn't go off when I was driving - only when I turned on the ignition. (I'm admitting to be particularly thick over mechanical matters - my husband used to take care of that side of things for me, but is no longer able to do so.)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:36 pm

Hi, and welcome aboard. :)

Are you saying the coolant alarm, or temperature alarm went off?

If the latter all is probably fine - it's normal for the coolant temperature to rise a bit when you switch off an engine as the airflow stops, but the block continues to dump heat into the coolant.

102 Degrees doesn't sound excessive in that case, and I believe you can set the alarm temperature.

Lastly, I wouldn't recommend removing the tank cap while it's hot, the coolant can expand violently. :wink:
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:59 pm

Spot on Bob, the temp alarms default top temp is 100c , as you say you can exceed that after a run and stopped. Read the alarm instructions and set the trigger point to 105c.
Also BMW Clocks
Mari
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Mari » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:45 pm

Thank you Bob. It was the temp alarm. I had been parked up for a few minutes while I got some shopping - that's why I got a fright: it's never happened before. I was very careful when I took off the cap - used a work glove and did it gradually. There were no alarming outpourings of steam, though a tiny bit of water came out. When I topped up with water, not much went back in there.)

I phoned the garage to let them know what had happened and then turned the heater up full blast, just in case. While I was driving, the reading dropped to the 90s.

Thank you, HC. I'll dig out the instructions and take them in to the garage on Wednesday: they originally installed the alarm for me and I barely trust myself to put air in the tyres. (I used lockdown to patch up some of the bodywork with fibreglass, but I have no experience of anything mechanical or electrical - though maybe it's time I pulled myself together and had a go.) I'll be able to tell them that I got advice from the best possible source. :D

Thank you once again to both of you for taking the time to reply - it's very much appreciated.

We do have a car, but I'll miss my Bongo if I have to give it up. We've had her for nearly 12 yrs. (Some day I might tell the tale of how we found our that someone had been hiring her out behind our back...)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:53 pm

Don't worry about asking questions, we're here to help, and it's a friendly crew here. 8)
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:14 pm

You say you topped up with water and a bit came out......you must not fill the tank to the top. If you can’t see the level through the side of tank, get a dry stick and put it vertically into the tank (when cold) you should get only 2 centimetres of wet stick when you remove it....any more and you must siphon some out ( chicken baster works well ) any less and add. Bit. Do it when cold !!
Also BMW Clocks
Mari
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Mari » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:42 am

Thank you, Bob. :)

Thank you, HC - I'll check in the morning. I'm very much obliged to you.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:51 am

We're here to help. :)

If you pop a rough location in your profile it helps a lot. 8)
Mari
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Mari » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:55 pm

Hi. Idiot features here again.

Confession - I never did get the alarm reset from 102 to 105. I had good intentions of booking the van in for that and a coolant change, but I'm afraid life turned to excrement and I'm just beginning to pick up the pieces again.

Today - not that long after setting off - the alarm went again. This time it showed 108 and the temp gauge when up too, to slightly past the midway mark.

Stopped and checked the coolant level. No sign of it being down, but I lost a bit when I took off the cap and topped up with water. Sat for a few minutes, turned up the heater and opened the windows and returned home. The temp dropped to 90 in the meantime and the temp gauge dropped to its normal setting. Will try to book the van in this week.

It would appear that the coolant in the van is definitely the red stuff, judging by the colour of the cloth I used to remove the cap. The garage isn't very far away from my home, so I'm hoping that I can nurse it there next week without doing too much damage.

It's quite warm here today - would that have been enough make the alarm go off, or should I prepare myself to wave bye bye to the Bongo?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:13 pm

It really isn't a good idea to remove the filler cap while the engine is hot.
Mari
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Mari » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:12 pm

Aye, it was stupid of me - I panicked.
Mari
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Mari » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:29 pm

Have done a bit of googling. Shall ask the garage to check out the hoses, radiator etc.

Return to “Techie Stuff”