Wastegate Actuator issues

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Tombo
Bongonaut

Wastegate Actuator issues

Post by Tombo » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:25 pm

Hello Bongo Experts I hope you can help me,
I've had an intermittent flashing glow plug, p1228 and p1189 for the last few days, it will come on when the engine has warmed up for about 15 minutes and doesn't seem to come with limp mode. I've had the van for a month.
I've read quite a lot of posts as well as the factsheet in the members area and as a result, used pliers to manually move the actuator rod (moves smoothly) and this seemed to get rid of the flashing light and it hasn't come back for a couple of days.
I decided to have a closer look today and here's what I found:
  • It has a newer vacuum solenoid attached (under passenger seat) and the old brown one is sitting next to it disconnected.
    The solenoid clicks rapidly when the engine is idling.
    When Idling the actuator rod moves to the left - I thought this should happen only when boosting/revving engine.
    If I remove both vertical vacuum hoses from solenoid the rod moves back to the right. If I them connect the two hoses directly together the actuator rod moves to the left - the solenoid stops clicking when hoses removed.
    The connections on the solenoid read 31 Ohms (factsheet says this means it's functioning).
Questions:
  • Should the rod move permanently to the left when idling (I'm assuming this is wrong)
    Should the solenoid be clicking loudly?
    Could the valves in the solenoid be faulty/ the spring in the actuator be too weak or is there something else going on?
Thanks in advance!
2000, 2.5 Diesel, 4wd, AFT
Tombo
Bongonaut

Re: Wastegate Actuator issues

Post by Tombo » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:38 pm

I've just vacuum tested the solenoid seems like the valve is leaking. Still Dont understand why it's clicking open /closed rapidly.
Tombo
Bongonaut

Post by Tombo » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:18 pm

Fixed this by replacing the waste actuator vacuum solenoid. Clicking meant it was on its way out.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:39 pm

Thanks for the update, always useful in the future.

Glad you're sorted, too. :)
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:01 pm

Tombo wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:18 pm Fixed this by replacing the waste actuator vacuum solenoid. Clicking meant it was on its way out.
Where did you obtain one? Do you have a part number?
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Tombo
Bongonaut

Post by Tombo » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:23 am

I got OEM part number WLB218740 with K5T48394 stamped on part, genuine mazda from ava mazda bongo parts on eBay. Its the only one with the small brass (?) insert in one of the connectors that I could find. Don't know what difference that makes.
The malfunctioning one had a different part number and looked almost the same, but the original was sitting next to it, disconnected, so I took that part number.
Hope that helps someone.

Return to “Techie Stuff”