bongo electrics question

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

fleurw
Apprentice Bongonaut

bongo electrics question

Post by fleurw » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:02 pm

Hello
My bongo has had "interesting:" wiring & fuse issues since I bought it. Recently the indicators, brake lights, hazard lights & horn & all stopped working. I checked the fuses in the driver area & under the bonnet & the bulbs & they are all working. I was just wondering if anyone has come across this problem at all - should I be checking the indicator relays next?

this forum has been amazing so far - my roof got stuck up & I found a post suggesting I check the fluff in the handbrake wiring & it fixed it so any feedback with this latest challenge appreciated :-)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: bongo electrics question

Post by g8dhe » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:19 pm

The only common fuse would be the Image
http://www.g8dhe.net/bwm/default.htm#btn
But there would be several other things that would have failed as well including the door locks!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
fleurw
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by fleurw » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:49 am

Hello
yes the door locks are also not working (forgot to mention that). I also had to take a fuse out of the central locking and back door as they were continually drawing power and causing the battery to go flat (I bought the car with these problems ).All the fuses are ok though . I even checked & changed the wiring around the tow bar as I read that could cause an issue and it was corroded but still no joy.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:04 am

So what fuses precisely have you removed ? Fuses protect the wires in each loom, and will often feed several different circuits not just a single device. They are arranged in a tree fashion with each fuse protecting each branch / twig of the tree so if you have pulled fuses out you can expect several circuits to be affected.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
fleurw
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by fleurw » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:54 am

Thanks for your feedback on this. The fuses I removed were the ones under the driver's dash (fuse 4 & fuse 17 under dash) that related to the central locking & the back sliding door as they were drawing power & causing a flat battery, This started happening after an incident where the roof was stuck up & I read here about fluff in the hand brake wiring affecting one of the main circuits. I cleaned the handbrake wiring of fluff & it solved the problem & things like the radio started working but I started getting a flat battery each night. I traced it to the central locking and door fuses so I removed those & the problem went away. Whilst investigating I also found a little loom (not sure that's the right word) under the driver's wheel where a plastic circuit had been disconnected. If I connected it up it was the alarm sound for when you leave the keys in the car started functioning but if I left it connected it caused a flat battery so I disconnected it again (I bought the car like that ). its quite a puzzle & this latest problem with all the lights didn't happen directly after I removed the fuses there was a gap of about a month .
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:31 pm

Unfortunately fuse numbering doesn't work very well on a Bongo as its different on various diagrams and years! Hence why I always locate a fuse by Block/Row/Column !
However I suspect you referring to;
Image as fuse 4 ?
and
Image as 17 ?

These will always draw very small amount of currents as they drive electronics which are required to allow remote un-locking of the doors, but not normally sufficient to flatten the battery in any normal timescale.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
fleurw
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by fleurw » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:11 pm

Hello
yes thank you for feedback - it was exactly those fuses and I didn't really question it as the battery stopped going flat after removal but totally get it may not have been connected. The latest situation (no indications, hazards, horn, brake lights etc , happened some time after I removed those fuses & all the fuses seem to be ok on them - the indicator still ticks but no light & stops ticking if I take the fuse out so I know the fuse is ok for example. This is why I was wondering if I should move onto the relays now as the fuses seem to be ok on the units not working .
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:53 pm

Yes there are two fuses one supplies the power to the control module, hence the clicking and the other supplies the power for the actual lights themselves thru the relay inside the module. All these are listed on the Tabs here http://www.g8dhe.net/bwm , some of the modules have three power connections for various reasons.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:11 pm

Hello
You might want to remove the relays and visually check if their is any corrosion around the pins. I have just posted an update to my headlight issue which was caused by my headlight relay. Definitely worth a check as my van is in great condition and kept under a carport during the winter but still suffered with corrosion on the pins.
fleurw
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by fleurw » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:09 pm

Great thank you. I am checking this all out now

Return to “Techie Stuff”