Advice on treating rust

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Adam
Apprentice Bongonaut

Advice on treating rust

Post by Adam » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:56 am

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum (my first post, but been browsing for ages!) I bought my bongo back in the summer and hoping you can help with some advice.

I would like to treat areas of rust I have found under the bonnet. I recently took out the heater fan to repair and have since been on a rust hunting mission, taking out more parts and finding more rust (no surprises there). I have just a few questions and am looking for advice.

My plan with all the rust I am finding is to remove as much as possible by sanding/wire brush, treat anything left over with rust converter, prime and then repaint. I was planning to use spray but since some of these areas are hard to reach, I am now thinking that painting by brush might be easier - thoughts?

Im debating whether to take the the bonnet hinges off as there looks to be quite a build up here. Have others done this, or just removed rust and repainted with them in place?

And finally, can anyone recommend a good place online to buy paint?

Some pictures below.

Many thanks
Adam

Image[/img]

Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Advice on treating rust

Post by Bob » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:18 pm

Hi Adam

Pretty sure Ian does touch up paint in the Bongo Shop, but since it looks like all your work will be hidden it might be worth considering the nearest match Hamerite.

Removing the bonnet, I wouldn't think it's a problem, just need a couple of pals to help.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:46 pm

Hammerite is available in a spray and as brush-on, so may be easier.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:37 pm

Doone wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:46 pm Hammerite is available as a spray and as brush-on, so may be easier.
Yup. I use hammerite for this kind of light rust thing in the bonnet and engine bay areas and it works fine. I mixed smooth black with smooth green to more or less get a colour match for my 1995 dark green and I apply it by dabbing using a homemade pad of foam rubber (old pan scourers are a good source) as that gives with practice an even finish.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:56 am

I would say as a B grade repair wire brush/wet and dry sand as much of the surface rust off as possible then Kurust, then Hammerite.

For an A grade repair the same but put POR15 2 coats without using the Kurust.

POR15 is quite expensive (though think of the money it could save) but it is vastly superior to Hammerite. After 2 years rust unless 100pct killed tends to come back and creep under "coatings". POR15 creates a molecular bond (fuses) to any slight rust leftover and
chemically attack and converts it. Wherever POR15 is correctly applied on our Bongo it has never come back..
some spots POR15's 4 years ago, nothing. It dries extremely hard yet adheres very well to metal and does not
flake or become brittle and dry etc. It needs a top coat of something as it is not UV stable so I usually put
Hammerite on top.

Always use eye protection and gloves. Consider buying small tins of POR15 as it is tricky to store once opened, although that is a little more expensive. A 473ml (£40-£50) has lasted me a long while though.. I ended up taking my lefovers out (as the lid started to become mangled opening it with a screwdriver) and keeping it in a glass jar with a lid. It is highly chemical and don't get it on your skin (it will never come off clothes/shoes either, so put work clothes on from head to toe). Other than that it is pretty much the best anti rust paint I have used.

With rust your repair tends to last as long as the efforts and expense you put in.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:13 pm

My two cents worth.
I use Fertan to help remove and convert the rust.
Simply paint it on and wash it off.
It will remove some of the scalings too.
It forms a good surface to paint straight over without any primer.
Follow the instructions.
If you do use Hammerite for the finish make sure you key the surrounding painted areas.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:50 am

Good advice above. If you're determined to be lazy like me, i can say that hammerite alone is holding up well for me (i like to experiment with quick solutions where it is of no great consequence, just to see what happens). I only use it for those lightly rusted and easy to prep (clean/key) areas where i want a quick cosmetic improvement as much as protection. But if you go the extra mile as advised above the result can only be better!
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:09 am

Fourth photo down looks like it could be more than surface rust. If you’re brave give it a poke with a screwdriver... you’re not alone with the constant battle against rust.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
PJ_Bristol
Bongonaut

Post by PJ_Bristol » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:31 pm

Hi guys,

I have some surface rust on the bodywork e.g. around the rims. My paintowrk is white. I will try and post a photo from my phone.
What would you recommend? POR15 (which from looking on Ebay is tough to find in the uk especially in white) or Fertan?

Pete
PJ_Bristol
Bongonaut

Post by PJ_Bristol » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:34 pm

20201107_144200.jpg
20201107_144238.jpg

Return to “Techie Stuff”