2 litre exhaust manifold stud 1

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

RichRS
Apprentice Bongonaut

2 litre exhaust manifold stud 1

Post by RichRS » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:39 pm

Evening all. I have a blow somewhere around my manifold. I’ve noticed I’m missing stud 1 and I’ve read this can be an issue with the diesels warping the manifold. Has anyone heard of this happening with the petrol too?
I can’t feel any exhaust gas coming out but I can hear it’s around the mani somewhere. I’m just trying to narrow down if it was snapped by someone previously trying to remove it and has been like it for years or it’s warped and snapped itself. Or it’s possible that’s not the issue and there’s a crack somewhere.

Many thanks

Rich.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: 2 litre exhaust manifold stud 1

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:29 pm

The down pipe is twin skin one, they split on the inner wall which makes a racket onto the outer.
RichRS
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: 2 litre exhaust manifold stud 1

Post by RichRS » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:44 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:29 pm The down pipe is twin skin one, they split on the inner wall which makes a racket onto the outer.
Interesting, I have just replaced the cat with a secondhand one after mine was stolen. It’s in much better condition than my old one was though. It’s possible but it does sound like it’s coming from the mani and I am missing a stud.

I’ve had a bit of an exhaust ordeal lately. My standard factory one started blowing on the flex joint. I bought a new pattern mid a rear section which I wasn’t really happy with as it was louder than standard. Then I had my Cat stolen a few weeks later, now it’s blowing at the manifold. Its possible it could all be related to the force needed to undo the downpipe nuts..

Return to “Techie Stuff”