Rear Inner Arch replacements

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

MyBongoiscalledDave
Bongonaut

Rear Inner Arch replacements

Post by MyBongoiscalledDave » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:28 pm

Hi Bongo Fans,

I understand that Mazda have discontinued rear inner arches for Bongos. I'm really struggling to find a similar part that might fit. I have found some posts on here that date back to 2015 with some info but the links to websites for the replacement panels no longer work.

Does anyone have any ideas that might be able to help me out?

I'll be honest, I'm broke and really can't afford to have someone fabricate the panels which is why I'm trying to source something that will kind of mostly fit and get my welder to make them fit.

Regards,

Adam
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Rear Inner Arch replacements

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:44 pm

I was under the impression that the inner arches were fabricated in-situ, as opposed to bought and welded in!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
MyBongoiscalledDave
Bongonaut

Post by MyBongoiscalledDave » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:59 pm

Well they do have a part number on the lush-projects explosion diagrams.

However I think that they’re probably not made anymore. So I may just have to buy myself a welder and learn how to use it.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:03 pm

Fabrication job. Even if available as original Mazda inners, your outer is probably the Sprinter arch so will need fabrication to get everything aligned.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:09 pm

The way you do the inner arches is to simply use another pair of outer arches welded to the inner arch and then spot weld around the flange where it meets the new outer.
I have seen on another post about bonding the old inner arch, as it was from the factory, the problem with doing this is that if the inner arch were rusted around the bonded edge a new section would need to be made to make up the gap if you are going to do that then you may as well MIG it to the outer and seal it using Sikkaflex. Secondly, to bond it properly you would need to use a proper structural adhesive such as that made by 3M this is about ninety quid for a small tube and would be tricky to apply in that area.
In my opinion whilst you may get away with bonding the O/S inner the N/S should have an inner arch fitted as this panel is subjected to more twisting that the other due to the sliding door aperture "weakening" that side.
I have an old post that shows the procedure but I cannot link it from my phone have a search under 4WD refurb or something.
Hope this isn't too late.

Return to “Techie Stuff”