Avoid or not?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Jchapman
Apprentice Bongonaut

Avoid or not?

Post by Jchapman » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:53 am

Good morning everyone

I am very new to this site but have been recommended by my dad who is a big fan. I grew up with a bongo and now looking to invest in my own.

I wondered if you could help me - I’m looking at buying a bongo and have seen one that is advertised for £4300 with a year MOT. Body work looks good, no obvious rust from photos but I am yet to see it. I’ll be going this weekend to have a look.

I have attached a copy of its recent MOT and was wondering if anyone would have a rough guesstimate on how much it would cost to get the work done. The tyres, head light and handbrakes aren’t a worry, my concern is the corrosion.

Thanks in advance for you advice

Kind regards
Attachments
93EB894B-031E-4BA8-8AA4-5D1C5644A56E.png
willow2u
Bongolier

Re: Avoid or not?

Post by willow2u » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:02 am

I wouldn’t have thought it would be badly corroded or it would have failed mot but I guess you would need to get underneath it to have a good look so it might just need a couple of small sections cutting out shouldn’t be too much
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:55 am

private or trade sale? corrosion issues will cost ££££'s to remedy, are you prepared and able to rectify this yourself? What is the previous MoT history, has maintenance been skimped on? Year of Bongo?; is someone bailing out of ownership and if so why? You are right the tyres, lights etc are not the issue but tin worm most definitely is.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Propnut
Bongonaut

Post by Propnut » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:09 pm

I'd agree with Flanners, with rusty bodywork in my experience what you see at first is just the tip of the iceberg. If the MoT guy has picked up these issues then it's a safe bet that the situation is worse when you start stripping back paint, under seal etc. I don't do bodywork on other folks cars for that reason, what presents as a small hole in the sill to patch always turns out to be a whole load of pain. Bear in mind also that the MoT guy is only looking at prescribed areas, typically at a set distance from structural members, seat belt mounts etc there could be other corrosion elsewhere underneath that is currently outside of these regions but creeping towards them.
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:37 am

But then you will probably never buy a bongo, there will be rot in almost all of them, to be fair you’re looking probably at a 19 year old vehicle which even if it had all the right services is still no guarantee of motoring bliss. at the end of the day if you pick it up for £4K usable for a year get a few trips away in it with your partner kids etc meet other nutters that have done the same and had a good time even for one year then it’s money well spent if the bug gets you then get repairs done customise it for your needs and who knows. Put the shoe on the other foot if you was going down the vw route we would be at £8k plus for something probably worse which makes it more eye watering,just saying that’s all
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:43 pm

Fit a low coolant alarm and you have a good chance of protecting the cylinder head which is expensive.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:49 pm

Your best bet it to get the vehicle inspected, the MOT is only a rough guide there are many vehicles that have had a MOT and a couple of weeks later they proved to be Dangerous and should never been on the road . One that comes to mind was the failure of Two front wishbones , this could have been catastrophic if the Lady had not notice the steering was acting strange.

Take care.

Return to “Techie Stuff”