Switching leisure batteries

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

jonesy5387
Apprentice Bongonaut

Switching leisure batteries

Post by jonesy5387 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:38 pm

Hi,
Im hoping someone can shed some light on an issue i have.
I drained my leisure battery by stupidly trying to recharge my bump starter pack from it. I forgot about it and left it plugged in all night, completely draining the battery and rendering it usesless.
I have since bought a new battery, same as before (Hankook XV85) and installed it as before. However, the power in the back hasn't come back on. I can't see any power coming in from the solar panel. I dont know if a blown fuse or something is behind it all not starting back up again.
I've owned my bongo for 4 months now so my understanding of the mechanics is minimal so would really appreciate any insight anyone might have that would help me out.
Thanks in advance,
Adam
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Switching leisure batteries

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:05 pm

I would be a little surprised (but not impossible) that you could flatten a LB by charging a boost battery.
Have you checked the fuses on the LB itself, also there are 10 Amp fusible links on the backs of the original sockets you might have blown them ?

How are you checking that battery and the sockets do you have a meter or just relying on something plugged in working ? If the later make sure that the fuse in the plug for that device hasn't blown, often the tip of the plug unscrews to access the fuse.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
gilly99
Bongonaut

Post by gilly99 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:56 pm

Struggling to understand the concept of charging a 12v booster from a 12v LB. If no external power, eg van on hookup, all that would happen is two batteries would balance out at a voltage somewhere between the two. How did you confirm the original LB was unserviceable?

Solar panels / circuits are generally smart, ie protected against surges or reverse current with diodes etc. The solar charge controller is a bit less forgiving - is it still working / showing current from the panel when in good daylight? Even if faulty, this very likely won't affect function of your camper sockets and lights.

Is there a 3-way rocker switch in the back marked CAR - Off - VAN ? This generally needs to be in VAN position for Sockets and Lights to function in the back.

There will be an inline 30A fuse a few inches from the LB positive lead terminal. Check it's contacts are functional and fuse is not blown. Assuming you have installed the battery correctly, with good earth etc, it's then voltmeter time, tracing back from the LB. Enjoy!!
4wd diesel, 1999 ex tintop with lowline raising roof
Keep a cool head, black ball game.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:51 pm

Some can be charged as they run an internal inverter to step the charging source voltage up above that of the internal lithium battery and hence they can be charged quite happily, however the batteries inside don't normally have the same capacity as a full LB hence I'm surprised that the LB was flattened, unless its a cheap Chinese device without suitable protection included!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”