Glow plug light flickering

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Streatwise
Junior Bongonaut

Glow plug light flickering

Post by Streatwise » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:19 pm

Hi there all
On my 2.5td 1995 bongo I have had this problem for some time, the glow plug light flickers on and off randomly, can hear the relay clicking like a mad thing when it does it. Sometimes does it on starting other times while driving
For ages thought it was a low battery issue as it was draining when not used for a while, and the problem seemed to stop after charging, but this isn't an issue any more due to solar panels and the problem still Persists. I get a lose of power when this happens as well and she doesn't change up.

Have recently had starting issues from cold and smokes when starts.
Read that flashing plug light indicates engine fault, which would accompany the nt for power lose, but this isn't flashing at regular rate, and seems random when it happens. Recently the light has stopped coming on all together when starting but still flickers a little after starting.
My diagnosis was probably a knackered relay or glow plugs but wanted to get anyone's advice or thoughts before spending out.
So thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice 😊
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Glow plug light flickering

Post by g8dhe » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:39 pm

The light itself is just a timing light it doesn't actually show the state of the glowplugs at all! They glowplugs and there relay is controlled by the ECU directly, so if the clicking is actually the glowplug relay then it would suggest that there might be a contact in the wiring loom somewhere, but first make sure which relay is clicking! The fact that the glowplug timing light is flickering might be more indicative of a battery terminal or fuse connections problem rather than the glowplug circuit itself.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Streatwise
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Streatwise » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:14 am

Thanks geoff
Thanks for the advice
I'll check out the terminal connections, fuses and wiring first..
Cheers
Aaron
Streatwise
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Streatwise » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:59 pm

Quick update
I've checked and cleaned all terminals and connectors on battery relay and temp sensor on block.. Tightened them all up and made sure battery fully charged..

So far so good so hopefully was just some dodgy connections..
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:36 pm

Fingers crossed. :)
Winniebongo
Bongolier

Post by Winniebongo » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:11 pm

Everything crossed, except eyes when driving :lol:
I have the same issue, feeling pangs of jealousy :mrgreen:
Winniebongo
Bongolier

Post by Winniebongo » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:41 pm

So for 2 days I thought I had cracked it, even took it out yesterday admit was fine the entire trip but today, same issue. So I have checked and cleaned more wiring and connectors but I am honestly not finding anything wrong, although it was fine when I left it this evening, so I might have fixed it (again)I am wondering if it is possible the wires on the GP relay have been replaced incorrectly? Does anyone have a diagram or picture of the colours of the wires and where they go. I found a Japanese wiring diagram and it was helpful but there didn't seem to be colours.There are 3 plugs one with 2 terminals in a "T" configuration, so I don't think that could be wrong but the other 2 are single terminals similar size etc, I know there is a blue/red wire and the other is blue and something,maybe black but they could easily be reversed?
Also does anyone know if there is a separate 'timer' for the Glow plugs and if so where it is? If so could this be playing up?
Another thing I read is if there is a broken Glow Plug, this may cause a similar issue, so going to check that tomorrow.
I notice this is not that uncommon a problem but how people have resolved it is difficult/impossible (for me anyway) to find on the net, so any links to similar problems solved would be useful, thanks!
I am going to check some other fuses and connections tomorrow and intend to just keep going with it anyway as it can't do any harm to make sure things are clean and making the correct connections.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:58 am

The colour codes are beside the wires;
ColourCodes.jpg
The wiring;
glow-plugs.jpg
However if the Glowplug light is flickering as opposed to flashing then this suggests that there is a poor power connection. If it flashes then its the ECU reporting an error. The glowplug light is ONLY a timer it doesn't show the state of the glowplugs at all.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Winniebongo
Bongolier

Post by Winniebongo » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:47 pm

Thanks Geoff. Just realised I am in Streetwise's post, sorry :oops:
Streatwise
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Streatwise » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:42 pm

Hi Winniebongo

Sorry to hear your still having issues, hope you manage to sort it soon.
I say cleaning and checking as many connections as you can can't be a bad thing, no easy feat on a bongo!..

Sorry I couldn't be more specific about what I had done to mine as it seems we were having the same problem. So far all OK here, since installing the solar panel had been no issues of battery draining either.

Hope you get yours sorted soon
Cheers
Winniebongo
Bongolier

Post by Winniebongo » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:35 am

Just thought I should put a final post on here to end the story as it were. I haven't been on for a wee while so apologies for that. The eventual outcome of this was we had to give it to an Auto Electrician, I tried everything but I really wasn't getting there,so he phoned us back after a couple of days and said your ECU is goosed. I couldn't believe it but I did trust him as he really knows his stuff and also works on a lot of campervans. In the interim and head still milling the issue around I wondered if it was the rear Temp sender. We had replaced it and getting a good quality one wasn't easy, so I was quite annoyed when the guy who did the cylinder head changed it again, even though I told him the story and that the part was new. The one he put in, I have to say looked exactly like the one i had fitted but that doesn't necessarily go for much in world of fake and replica parts. So we tried that first but it didn't help, so much for my ideas, I should just have bowed out when I started to get out o my depth #-o So he was happy enough that we tried a second hand one, just to confirm his diagnosis, I didn't know if new ones were available or expensive or what. I still felt the 'van is fairly low mileage' (77km), reasonably good condition and hasn't been abused, 'what happened to Japanese reliability', all that kind of thing, anyway we got one from a breaker fairly easily, they fitted it and nearly 3 months later we haven't looked back. The bank account took a hammering but that too is recovering now, just in time for Christmas :lol:
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post but sometimes you just need the professionals :^o
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:08 am

Thanks for the feedback, sorry to hear the costs! Its only the second goosed ECU I've heard off to date, but there isn't much else once the sensor has been replaced, as the relay is driven direct from the ECU.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Streatwise
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Streatwise » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:30 pm

Hi all
Well after my last post all has been running OK occasionally the same issue but only for a short while.
Then past week after the issue the glow plug light and relay have stopped doing anything, no flickering and no clicking, with the van in constant low power not changing gear and fans constantly on 😣😣
Wandering if my issue is the same as yours and my ecu is faulty...
Any suggestions on how I can confirm this?...
Also worried now that as its been going on so long with the glow plug relay constantly clicking on and off that the relay has burnt out and that's why it's no longer clicking...
Any suggestions welcome
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:38 am

Try a new relay.
Streatwise
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Streatwise » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:46 pm

I thought that as well, but didn't want to spend out if maybe ecu issue... Trouble finding a garage that can check for faults on ecu and clear them...
Will try a new relay and see...

Return to “Techie Stuff”