1998 V6 Petrol diagnostics help

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

MickMartin
Apprentice Bongonaut

1998 V6 Petrol diagnostics help

Post by MickMartin » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:10 pm

Hi all,

Don’t want to make this too long winded as the video is long enough to fry your brains!

I was gifted my poorly bongo by a family member last year however after getting it road worthy and going a few trips I realised it was running too rich and using far too much fuel.It’s had a new distributor, cap, arm, ht leads, plugs & all filters changed and it never resolved my fuel and slight misfire problems

So I hooked the diagnostic via the DIY bridging and led method and it started throwing me a a few more codes than expected. I’m sorry to pickle folks brains but would anyone have the knowledge to read these codes and clarify if they are linked?

I’ve uploaded a video to YouTube of my findings:

https://youtu.be/Lwj_ywwV5SE

Thanks Bongo’ers!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: 1998 V6 Petrol diagnostics help

Post by g8dhe » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:28 pm

A 1998 is probably two digit codes as described in the http://www.philmcfadden.co.uk/MazdaDiagnosticBox.htm link, however which pin where you looking at the engine FEN/TEN or the transmission FAT/TAT or ABS codes on FBS/TBS etc.
The other problem is we can't see when you connect the link so can only assume that its starts with two long flashes followed by 4 short flashes
but have you read the Diagnostics.pdf in the Factsheets for the various patterns ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
MickMartin
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: 1998 V6 Petrol diagnostics help

Post by MickMartin » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:42 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!

The bridge is connected via the TEN & GND for engine codes as I followed the guide from phil’s website as you mentioned, If you can hear the audible beep ad the start of the video the key is in ignition but not turned and as soon as the beep stops thats the key turned and ignition on, Indeed you are right and if my counts are correct that first fault should be 24 - RH 02 sensor.

I’ll have a look at the fact sheet now thanks, Apologies for the lack of transparency on the video as it’s been driving me mad counting those flashes.

Return to “Techie Stuff”