Revcounter not working

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Vandoodler
Apprentice Bongonaut

Revcounter not working

Post by Vandoodler » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:08 pm

Hi, Driving along today I noticed that the revcounter wasn't working. I have a 2002 2l petrol. Any suggestions? It drives perfectly otherwise. I did notice when I started that normally after the van's been sitting for a while I have to give the accelerator a good push as it sticks. Today I didn't. Other than the revcounter it drives perfectly. Am I doing any damage using it? Thanks for any advice.
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Re: Revcounter not working

Post by Eratosthenes » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:27 pm

Had a similar problem about 18 months ago - lots of info on what to check - search for original post "Alternator slow to start" - mine ended up being alternator.
Robbedabongo
Bongonaut

Post by Robbedabongo » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:27 pm

Mine has stopped working on a few occasions, I give the revcounter a gentle tap with my fist and then it works fine again. Probably happened 4 times during the recent 8 years.
Vandoodler
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Vandoodler » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:19 pm

Funnily enough I started it up today and the rev counter worked fine. I'll take it for a run tomorrow and see if it continues to work. I think I read somewhere that if it stops working after a bit of a run then it's likely to be the battery (3 years old) or alternator.

Return to “Techie Stuff”