Slide door drains my battery when open??

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

The_Celtic_Wanderer
Apprentice Bongonaut

Slide door drains my battery when open??

Post by The_Celtic_Wanderer » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:06 am

Hi

I dont know if anyone else has experienced this but , since the weather is getting nicer, my family has taken to sitting in the van with the door open. the ignition is not on, sometimes i can hear a clicking noise coming from just under the door, but every time they do this it drains the battery.

many thanks

CW
nth
Bongolier

Re: Slide door drains my battery when open??

Post by nth » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:05 am

What setup do you have ? is there a leisure battery & if so what battery is draining? do you have a swap over loom to change the power for the blinds & interior lights to leisure battery? how long are we talking with the side door open to drain the battery?
Also as you haven't mentioned it I'll state the obvious, is the interior light switched off so it doesn't come on with the door open?
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:22 am

All electrical connections are via the panel on the "B" pillar, once the door is open ALL electrical connections are broken. The door itself is not the problem.
Several things can make a relay click, you need to identify which relay is clicking, there is a door control module in the "B" pillar itself, but there are several relays under the bonnet some on the nearside wing, you need to identify which one is clicking. One possibility is the added Split Charge Relay that controls charging of the Leisure Battery, if so its normal for the relay to click for several minutes after stopping or after the engine has been running, until the Starter Battery voltage has stabilised again.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
The_Celtic_Wanderer
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by The_Celtic_Wanderer » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:50 am

nth wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:05 am What setup do you have ? is there a leisure battery & if so what battery is draining? do you have a swap over loom to change the power for the blinds & interior lights to leisure battery? how long are we talking with the side door open to drain the battery?
Also as you haven't mentioned it I'll state the obvious, is the interior light switched off so it doesn't come on with the door open?
Sorry, its just the main battery that is being drained, I don't have a leisure battery fitted yet. All the lights are off.
The_Celtic_Wanderer
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by The_Celtic_Wanderer » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:54 am

g8dhe wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:22 am All electrical connections are via the panel on the "B" pillar, once the door is open ALL electrical connections are broken. The door itself is not the problem.
Several things can make a relay click, you need to identify which relay is clicking, there is a door control module in the "B" pillar itself, but there are several relays under the bonnet some on the nearside wing, you need to identify which one is clicking. One possibility is the added Split Charge Relay that controls charging of the Leisure Battery, if so its normal for the relay to click for several minutes after stopping or after the engine has been running, until the Starter Battery voltage has stabilised again.
mmmm I don't have a leisure battery or a loom fitted, Could it be door control module?
btw, I'm really new to this but what is the "B" pillar?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:44 am

The only thing obvious might be do you have the internal light switched to Door, so that when the door is open the light comes on which will drain the battery, but no clicking relays involved.

When you say it drains the battery how are you seeing this drain on the battery, how are you measuring it ?

The Pillars are the "A" pillar that runs down (sloping) the side of the windscreen, then the "B" pillar that runs down behind the front seats, etc working backwards.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”