ALL FANS NOT WORKING

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Tomd
Junior Bongonaut

ALL FANS NOT WORKING

Post by Tomd » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:29 pm

I have a 1997 2.5TD bongo and have just removed and replaced the radiator to flush it out and replace the thermostat. After bleeding the cooling system in the correct way I find that neither the radiator fans nor the heater blower fan work. I've only tried the radiator fans via the aircon switch, the engine temperature has never got high enough to automatically switch on the radiator fans.
I have the LED? style controls on the dash and these show correctly but nothing happens under the bonnet.
Things were working correctly before I removed the radiator and all I did was unplug the radiator fans to remover them and as far as I know did nothing to do with the heater blower fan.
Any help as to where to start to try and rectify these problems will be gratefully received but please bear in mind that, to me, vehicle electrics are a 'dark art' so please give any ideas in 'idiot proof' instructions.
Thanks.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: ALL FANS NOT WORKING

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:32 am

I'm no expert, but I'd start with some contact cleaner on the connections, and check the fuses.

Then I'd check there is power to the fans with a multi-meter or 'bulb on a bit of wire'.

Fingers crossed. [-o<

Edit: One of these will be your friend:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/sealey-p ... gJZFPD_BwE
Tomd
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tomd » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:42 pm

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply.
After cleaning the contacts I got the heater fan working.
I read the posts on here re air conditioning and after joining the condenser brown plug contacts together the radiator fans ran so all I need to do now is to get the air conditioning checked and re-gassed and hopefully all will be well :D
I had made the mistake of thinking that the radiator fans would run just by switching the aircon on, didn't realise that if the pressure in the system dropped the aircon wouldn't work so the fans would not run.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:03 am

Makes sense, well done. 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”