Electrics are blowing my mind!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Vanlife
Apprentice Bongonaut

Electrics are blowing my mind!

Post by Vanlife » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:19 pm

I have attached some images I hope you can see. Basically we have only used electric hook up once- the van plug worked but nothing else- no ceiling light ( which does work sometimes when opening & closing the door but not when switched on?!), no electric water pump and we didn’t really know what we should have been clicking on the electrics box but what ever we did we only got plug power.
How do I know if all these things are broken? How do u know if the leisure battery powered the plug and not the hook up?
Also- do you know what the weird silver switch is with a green dot on it? Does that have something to do with it?
All ideas and guidance gratefully received!
Attachments
3175A61C-2DFC-401D-87F1-36865E6286C9.jpeg
87E810F4-B085-48B7-AC29-12A7E9ECD9B7.jpeg
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Electrics are blowing my mind!

Post by Bob » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:51 pm

A lot of questions, but little to go on, I'm afraid.

The trouble with camper conversion electrics is there is no standard, but it's not rare for hook up to only power a 13 amp, three pin, socket. Better ones will also charge the leisure battery.

Where is the weird silver switch fitted? On the dash, on the conversion? Could it be the rear fog light?

Sorry that's not very helpful.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Electrics are blowing my mind!

Post by g8dhe » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:29 pm

I would suspect that maybe you have a Leisure Battery (LB) fitted that is flat ? Hence the lights etc. are only working whilst the engine is running ?
Can you give us details of what has been included in the conversion ?
Is there a LB fitted ?
If so should have a Split Charge Relay (SCR) which charges the battery when moving.
Also you will need a Swap Loom that moves a number (4) circuits across from the Starter Battery (SB) to avoid flattening the SB when using it for longer periods.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”