Fitting in a bed

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

NPerrott
Apprentice Bongonaut

Fitting in a bed

Post by NPerrott » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:29 am

Hi,

I've just bought a Bongo and need some help with the bed. It has a kitchen at the back, across the whole width of the van. The rear passenger seats face the back of the van and then lay flat - combined with the front seats also laying flat, this makes the 'bed'. I'd like to put in a full width rock n roll bed, but if I leave the front seats where they are this only leaves 5' 3" of usable space, which obviously isn't long enough.

So my question is...will I have to replace all the seats, front and back, to fit in some kind of decent bed? Is that even possible? Do I need some weird and wonderful front seats that will allow enough space for a bed? I'm so confused, any advice on this sort of configuration would be hugely appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: Fitting in a bed

Post by Ian » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:32 pm

Let's get the terminology right and perhaps we can help. When Bongos leave the factory they have 2 setas at the front (driver & passenger), a middle bench that seats 3 (facing forwards), and at the rear either another bench of 3 (again, facing forward), or 2 "gull-wing" seats that than flip to to the side of the vehicle. By the sound of it your vehicle has had the rear bench/gull wings removed and a rear full-width kitchen unit installed, and the middle bench has been reversed to face the rear. Is that correct?
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
NPerrott
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by NPerrott » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:29 pm

Ian wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:32 pm Let's get the terminology right and perhaps we can help. When Bongos leave the factory they have 2 setas at the front (driver & passenger), a middle bench that seats 3 (facing forwards), and at the rear either another bench of 3 (again, facing forward), or 2 "gull-wing" seats that than flip to to the side of the vehicle. By the sound of it your vehicle has had the rear bench/gull wings removed and a rear full-width kitchen unit installed, and the middle bench has been reversed to face the rear. Is that correct?
Yes, that's right. The middle bench now faces the rear. It then pulls towards the rear, and the seats fully decline to make half the bed.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:34 pm

I think you would have to remove the existing bench seat and then install the rock and roll bed in its place. But that's not ideal as there may be restricted access to the rear kitchen unit. But I'm sure there's a workaround. Maybe others can comment......
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:07 pm

Don't think I have heard of a R&R bed extending towards the rear at all, you would have a problem in closing it up, if you have it against the rear kitchen then access would be a problem to the rear unit other than externally.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
NPerrott
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by NPerrott » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:35 pm

Thanks everyone. Maybe I'll have to abandon the rock n roll bed idea and stick with the seats. I've been reading some tips on how to make them more comfortable!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:04 pm

Some go for this style, with extra boards and a support to convert into a full width and length bed
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”