Solar advice

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Stevievee
Bongolier

Solar advice

Post by Stevievee » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:54 am

Hi all,

Recently installed a suitcase 100w panel and 10a charge controller. Is there anybody with a little know how who would be willing for me to DM them a few questions regarding the readings I’m receiving!

Thanks in advance.
Steve
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Solar advice

Post by g8dhe » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:58 am

If you put up the readings and Make/Model of the unit then we can probably help.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:41 am

g8dhe wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:58 am If you put up the readings and Make/Model of the unit then we can probably help.
The panel is a folding suitcase Spark 100w solar panel that I’ll use as and when needed when off grid or wanting to top up my battery. I have this running through a Renogy 10a PWM controller. I have fitted a 10a fuse from battery to controller and 10a fuse from panel to controller.

The voltage of the panel is registering at 16v to 18v from panel in good sunlight, I am unable to see what charge current is being produced, but have just ordered a Bluetooth module for monitoring these readings.

I suppose my worry is that all the numbers seem higher than I expected (Although, I have very limited knowledge of what I should be seeing!!). The battery display on the controller showing around the 14v mark when charging, with the panel showing 16v to 18v. I suppose it’s up to the controller to make sure nothing untoward is happening? It will be better once I receive the Bluetooth module to monitor this and give myself a little reassurance that I’m not going to blow my van up!!!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:33 am

Yes those voltages sound OK, 14.0 to 14.4 volts on the battery whilst charging, anywhere between 16-24 volts from the panel is expected, however you don't need a fuse between panel and controller, only close to the battery between the battery and controller to prevent the battery burning out the cable if it gets damaged.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:35 am

g8dhe wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:33 am Yes those voltages sound OK, 14.0 to 14.4 volts on the battery whilst charging, anywhere between 16-24 volts from the panel is expected, however you don't need a fuse between panel and controller, only close to the battery between the battery and controller to prevent the battery burning out the cable if it gets damaged.
That’s great, thank you
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:47 pm

Just realised my solar PWM controller is a ‘positive ground’. Seems this may be an issue and should be a negative. An explanation in layman’s terms would be appreciated. I thought this may have just been a plug and play thing to charge my battery... turns out it’s a bloody minefield!!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:55 am

What makes you think it has an Earth reference ?
As far as I can see from a quick perusal of the manual its a standard floating arrangement, there is no +ve or -ve earth reference at all ? https://uk.renogy.com/content/files/Man ... 281%29.pdf
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:06 pm

g8dhe wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:55 am What makes you think it has an Earth reference ?
As far as I can see from a quick perusal of the manual its a standard floating arrangement, there is no +ve or -ve earth reference at all ? https://uk.renogy.com/content/files/Man ... 281%29.pdf
They are advertised as 2 separate items on Amazon. The Wanderer PG has a different manual. PG being positive ground. Negative is ever so slightly more expensive.
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:07 pm

g8dhe wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:55 am What makes you think it has an Earth reference ?
Thank you for checking it out, appreciate any help I can get with this!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:04 pm

So you have the PG version ?
In which case yes you could have some oddities, personally I would remove the controller and replace with a modern MPPT controller which will be a lot more efficient especially with our weather/sun conditions. The PWM were a very basic type, fine where there is a lot of sunshine but not nearly as effective in conditions where there is significant cloud coverage etc. The MPPT style will operate over a much greater range of light conditions. See this search https://www.google.com/search?q=mppt+solar+controllers
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:33 pm

Did consider the MPPT, but for the occasional use I’ll get out of it, wasn’t sure it would be worth the extra cost. This could be one of those projects that I’ll improve on over time as I learn more about it. Keeps me out of trouble and the wife’s way anyway :lol:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:00 pm

Given that it is the PG version then you could have problems especially if you connect anything to the USB or the LOAD screws which then touches the chassis of the vehicle as, depending on the actual circuit used you could end up shorting out the battery. make sure that you have a suitable rated fuse at the battery feeding the controller.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Sat May 01, 2021 8:54 am

g8dhe wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:00 pm Given that it is the PG version then you could have problems especially if you connect anything to the USB or the LOAD screws which then touches the chassis of the vehicle as, depending on the actual circuit used you could end up shorting out the battery. make sure that you have a suitable rated fuse at the battery feeding the controller.
I was going ask what the impact of that controller would be. I’ve now ordered the negative ground and will return this one. I have a spade 10amp fuse close to the + battery terminal.
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Tue May 04, 2021 3:48 pm

g8dhe wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:33 am Yes those voltages sound OK, 14.0 to 14.4 volts on the battery whilst charging, anywhere between 16-24 volts from the panel is expected, however you don't need a fuse between panel and controller, only close to the battery between the battery and controller to prevent the battery burning out the cable if it gets damaged.
Right, we move on! New negative ground charge controller arrived today, all wired in and also fitted the Bluetooth monitoring system... How do these figures look on the below photo? Are we good?? [-o<
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Tue May 04, 2021 3:49 pm

Screenshot_20210504-154525.png

Return to “Techie Stuff”